Sensor Analysis

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
humblepie

Sensor Analysis

Post by humblepie »

Hi the gain value recorded from the senor analysis test. Is that the same value when setting gain in the camera control area?
asi224mc noise.jpg
asi224mc noise.jpg (168.83 KiB) Viewed 1561 times
e.g 300 gain value from test result is that the same as 300 on the gain slider when setting the gain before capture?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, that's right.

cheers,

Robin
Thegore100

Post by Thegore100 »

Hi there Robin! I have a couple of questions...
I did my Sensor analysis test last night here’s mine...
My questions are... what should my ADU for flats be? and offsets? (Can’t find that)
When doing the sensor analysis test do I have to do it for each filter?
(Camera zwo 1600mm pro with 7 filter wheel LRGB+Ha,Oiii,Sii)

Thank you Sir..
Attachments
5FDA7F44-7D44-4401-83EC-7BBC6072AD84.jpeg
5FDA7F44-7D44-4401-83EC-7BBC6072AD84.jpeg (749.78 KiB) Viewed 785 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

those figures look fine for the analysis. You don't need to do the analysis for each filter - it's a measurement of the sensor itself, not the filters in front of it. If you are using the 'Smart Histogram' functionality to calculate the best settings based on the sky brightness then that should be done with each filter (or at the least with the filter that gives the dimmest image).

My recommendations for flats are the peak in the 50-65% level range, but also try to avoid any significant histogram signal above the 90% level or below the 10% level when taking the flats.

Offset - expose for dark frames and then adjust offset so that the histogram peak does not touch the left hand side of the graph (or use the smart histogram brain option, which will calcuate this for you). Use the same offset for all frames (dark/light/flat).

Robin
Thegore100

Post by Thegore100 »

Wow awesome thank you very much! Your amazing Making this amazing software :) I will get it a try... One more question when doing the smart histogram I’m supposed to do it on a dark patch of the sky without nebula right? Once once I get my calculation then I can image the nebula I’m going after for? Right? But when I’m doing the smart histogram on that part of the sky that’s when I have to do it with each filter...
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yes, for the smart histogram pick the darkest patch of sky in the area that you intend to image - SharpCap will then optimize the settings to give good results at that brightness level (and everything brighter than that will be OK automatically - it's the darkest bits you have to worry about).

cheers,

Robin