Saved as viewed images dimmer

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
cuivenion

Saved as viewed images dimmer

Post by cuivenion »

Hi, I did some EAA for the first time in a while last night with my new ZWO ASI224 and I'm very happy with it. I did notice however that my 'saved as viewed' images are noticably dimmer than what I viewed on the screen.

I understand that only the histogram stretching in the live stacking, exposure and gain influence this file, so all the display settings were set to default as far as I know. The offset (brightness) was turned up. Is advisable to have this at zero when live stacking?

I was using raw16 mode for the stacking. If this is a 12bit file stretched to 16bit could this dim the image?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saved as viewed images dimmer

Post by admin »

Hi,

have you by any chance used the display stretch functionality in the mini histogram in 3.1? (Or the equivalent display brightness/gamma/contrast controls in earlier versions?) These brighten the on-screen display of the image only and don't affect what is saved to file. I have a feature request to make a way to save to file with these adjustments included, which is under consideration for the next version of SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Hi, it was the first time using the Asi224 last night, so it won't be from previous versions. Are the changes from the colour sliders saved in the 'saved as viewed file'? The only setting I can think of that I increased that is not part of live stacking is brightness, which I thought was offset for Asi cameras. Is the offset included in the saved file?

Got some nice test images last night. Have to say that asi224 is a cracking little cam.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Sorry, I did use the auto stretch in the mini histogram to confirm I was on target, but I reset it before opening live stacking.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ok, well that's one idea down...

I'm unable to repro this problem at the moment - changes I make to the Live Stack histogram stretch and the colour balance are reproduced in 'Save As Viewed' files. Perhaps you could take a screenshot or two (showing controls as well as on screen image) and send it to me along with the saved file the next time you see the problem.

cheers,

Robin

PS - I did find a separate bug in live stacking when I tested this - alignment failed if you started the stack with the R/G/B sliders pulled too high or too low. This is fixed in 3.1.5029
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Hi, will do. Could you let me know if the use of brightness(offset) is ok even though it's not part of live stacking. I'm pretty sure that's the only setting outside of live stacking that was used. It's always possible I made a mistake and I'll keep an eye on what I'm doing with my EAA sessions.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Hi Robin, I've tried to upload some images but the PNG's are to large. If you don't mind checking out this thread on Stargazers Lounge:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/3106 ... -and-iris/

It should outline what I'm talking about. When I convert the PNG's to JPG they display online as when I viewed them when capturing with live stacking. The original PNG's are darker when viewed online. They look correct in Paint and GIMP though.
robrj

Post by robrj »

Is it possible that when it gets uploaded, it gets converted? I think some sites might convert or scale an image which might result in it looking different online.
cuivenion

Post by cuivenion »

Could be, it looks like some screens don't like the png's with the higher bit information though. I've noticed that converting the png's to 8 bit doesn't make a difference though, which is odd.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think it is down to how the imaging software (or the web browser - whatever is showing the image) handles the high bit depth PNG - it obviously varies. Probably best to convert to 8 bit before sharing - you also get the opportunity to do final tweaks/stretch, etc.

cheers,

Robin