Read Mode Options HELP!

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ScottD

Read Mode Options HELP!

Post by ScottD »

Hello!

This was in another post of mine, but my question now is different.

When I upgraded to the newest version of SharpCap I noticed a new drop down, where I believe the binning options used to be. When I connect my QHY294C Pro this drop down gives me two read options.

1. 11M for 11 megapixels
2. NON-EXIST.

I never saw this before and imaged the other night using the NON-EXIST read mode. The image turned out fine. However, I learned that I should set it to 11M for my camera, which I have done. In the meantime, I just took a BUNCH of darks at several different exposure lengths using the NON-EXIST read mode. If I shoot my lights and other calibration frames in the 11M mode, will I be able to stack using the darks I just shot?

I know this sounds weird and complicated, but I really hope all the hours of capturing darks wasn't a total waste of time.

Thank you!

Scott
admin
Site Admin

Re: Read Mode Options HELP!

Post by admin »

Hi Scott,

this is very odd, since even in the latest SharpCap I get 11M and 47M as the two modes for the 294C Pro. I wonder if it might come down to a difference in QHY driver versions? I have 21.10.18.0.

Anyway, since I don't get NON EXIST, I can't be sure what settings it will use - I presume that it is really the 47 megapixel mode under another name. In that case, the resolution will not match the 11M mode, so you cannot use darks/flats mixed between the modes.

If you really have captured in 47 megapixel, then you may be able to salvage something from your images...

Capture darks/flats at the same settings.

Process all the lights/darks/flats by first 2x2 binning them - that should convert them from the odd bayer pattern of the 47M mode to a normal RGGB bayer pattern, which can hopefully then be processed normally.

cheers,

Robin
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Thank you Robin. I was afraid of that. Oh well, I will redo my darks, as I'd like to capture everything in the 11M mode.

As always, I appreciate your quick and thorough response!

Scott
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Scott,

btw... did you try to update the QHY driver to see if NON-EXIST changes to a more useful '47M Mode'?

cheers,

Robin