11M vs non-exit

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ScottD

11M vs non-exit

Post by ScottD »

Hello,

I just recently updated to the latest version and there is something in the camera settings I don't remember seeing before. Just above the RAW drop down is another drop down that gives you the option of using 11M or non-exit. I believe that's what they are. Can someone explain what these are and if I should use one over the other? It was set on 11M and I changed it last night to non-exit.

Thank you,

Scott
admin
Site Admin

Re: 11M vs non-exit

Post by admin »

Hi Scott,

ZWO 294 mono? This is the read mode control and the options should be 11 Megapixel and 47 Megapixel. Basically this camera can operate in two modes - with small pixels at 8288x5644 and with something a bit like bin 2 (but more subtle) that gives a resolution of 4144x2822 with bigger effective pixels. If you check out the ZWO product page you can see that the noise/gain graphs are quite different for the two modes, which is why SharpCap treats them as alternate read modes rather than as simple binning.

cheers,

Robin
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Hi Robin,

My mistake on the spelling. The only two options in the Read Mode tab are 11M MODE and NON-EXIST. My camera is a QHY294C Pro. Can you tell me which one I should use?

Thank you!

Scott
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Ah, the QHY version and colour :)

Use 11M. The second option was once '47M', but it sounds like QHY have lost the name of the second option in the latest SDK update. Anyway, for the colour camera there isn't real way to use the 47 megapixel mode properly, since it has a weird bayer pixel pattern that no software deals with...

RRGGRRGG
RRGGRRGG
GGBBGGBB
GGBBGGBB

cheers,

Robin
ScottD

Post by ScottD »

Robin, thank you! I just took a bunch of Darks using the NON-EXIST read mode. If I go out and image in 11M mode, will the lights work with the darks? I'm sorry for all the questions and really do appreciate your help.

Thank you!

Scott