ASCOM Color Balance

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
galljj

ASCOM Color Balance

Post by galljj »

Robin:

It appears to me that in the latest beta versions, the ASCOM version of my Rising Tech (ToupTek) IMX224 camera has the ability to control the color balance in the live histogram - through sliders. But not in the "normal" histogram, nor in the stretch histogram in the control panel. Additionally, although the sliders change the color balance, the underlying RBG histograms are static.

At some point do you expect these will come into synch ?

Best, and great stuff

john
admin
Site Admin

Re: ASCOM Color Balance

Post by admin »

Hi,

there are kind of two different sides of the same coin at work here

1) When Live Stack is not enabled, the goal is to save frames with minimal (or no) processing. It's almost always better to do the processing like colour balance after stacking as the last phase of image adjustment to avoid data loss. This means that colour balance controls in the normal camera controls are to be avoided if possible (even though SharpCap will show them)

2) When Live Stack is enabled, the adjustments *are* happening after stacking, so it's reasonable to apply a stretch and/or colour balance without undue loss of quality.

So, I guess the summary is 'are you sure that you really want to do that?' is the answer!

cheers,

Robin
galljj

Re: ASCOM Color Balance

Post by galljj »

Well, since i do mainly DSO observing in the live view mode - with exposures of greater than 1 second, is data loss really an issue ?

In any event, it appears that if I use the sliders in live view mode, the color balance stays at those levels to which I have "slid", even when viewing a single shot image, and when I relaunch live view. Does that make sense to you ?

Thanks

john