How to resync mount after plate solve

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
MLM

How to resync mount after plate solve

Post by MLM »

Plate solving and syncing works fine if the solved coordinates are within a few degrees of where the mount thinks its pointing, but if thats not the case I get the message:

Plate solve results too far from mount position, please resync.

If I plate solve only, and that succeeds, which it frequently does, I get the new coordinates, and also message asking if I want to copy the coordinates.

My question is if there is a way in SharpCap to send these coordinates to the mount? I'm using the ASCOM Hub device to connect to the mount.
admin
Site Admin

Re: How to resync mount after plate solve

Post by admin »

Hi,

the message "Plate solve results too far from mount position, please resync" appears when you are using the pixel position readout function in SharpCap and the current mount co-ordinates are more than 10 degrees away from the last plate solve location. This is because as you move further from the last plate solve location (the point where SharpCap last had reliable information about both the mount RA/Dec readout and the true RA/Dec), the pixel position values become less accurate.

All you need to do is run either 'plate solve only' or 'plate solve and resync' when you see that message - that will set the reference point to the current location, but you will see the message again if you then move more than 10 degrees away.

If you use 'plate solve and resync' then SharpCap will send a sync command to the mount based on the plate solve results, but you will still get the message if you move more than 10 degrees away from the sync location.

cheers,

Robin