Sharpcap as Admin and EQMOD stops

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
PDC Skies

Sharpcap as Admin and EQMOD stops

Post by PDC Skies »

I have a new mount so have switched from CPWI to EQMOD. I have no problems using EQMOD until I close SharpCap and attempt to restart as Administrator. (I time asteroidal occultations and need my QHY174 & SharpCap to manage system time during recordings.) At moment that SharpCap opens as Admin, EQMOD pops onto screen with message "Connect error. Port not available." After that happens, everything locks up (EQMOD, SharpCap, Cartes du Ciel) and I have to reboot laptop to get back into business. Happens with both SharpCap 4.0 and 3.2. Running Lenovo X1 with M5 processor, Windows 10 Pro and lots of memory resources. Problem did not occur while running CPWI.

Anyone have any suggestions?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap as Admin and EQMOD stops

Post by admin »

Hi,

the best guideline here is rule 1... 'Don't run anything as administrator' :)

If you *have* to break rule 1 and run something as administrator then apply rule 2... 'Run everything as administrator'.

The background is that Windows is fussy about communications between admin and non admin programs. In many cases that communication does not get allowed, meaning that - for instance - SharpCap will try to talk to an already running EQMOD, get no response, start a new one that then cannot communicate with the mount because the version that is already running is talking to the mount.

cheers,

Robin
PDC Skies

Post by PDC Skies »

I get Rule #1 --and appreciate your humor. My goal is to time occultations with accuracy and precision. My understanding has been that to get the GPS time signal from my QHY174 into my SER or FITS file(s) I need to run SharpCap as administrator so it can pass the time signal to the laptop's system time. Is that incorrect? Is there a better procedure?

I tested Rule #2, opening EQMOD, SC4 and Cartes du Ciel as admin, and quickly ended up with the same result: "Connect error. Port not available." EQMOD and others then lock up. I recently transitioned from CPWI to EQMOD due to a new mount. Interestingly, CPWI was always stable when I ran SharpCap as admin, but that was then and this is now. Still hoping you have a magic suggestion or workaround to get the GPS time into my occultation files accurately.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

you only need to run SharpCap as admin if you want SharpCap to set the system time from the GPS - GPS time info will be saved into the FITS headers regardless of whether you are in admin mode or not (as long as you have GPS lock and have enabled GPS). If you really want to set the system time, run SharpCap briefly as Admin, use the 'set system time' button, then close and restart without admin.

Hopefully that should work around any issues

cheers,

Robin