Capturing: 0 frames

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
RadOD

Capturing: 0 frames

Post by RadOD »

Using a qhy5-ii-m (from miniscope/qhy5-ii-m kit) I cannot capture images using SharpCap 3.0.4016.0 under Win10 x64. I did accidentally plug in the camera before installing the drivers. I deleted the unsuppoted device installed QHY5Drv64V13-08-13, QHY5UPDATE, then QHY5NativeWDMDrivers1.3.0 and rebooted.

Sharpcap lists the camera under 'direct show via sharpcap pipeline only. Choosing this gives the warning 'operating via directshow may reduce...' but there is no other listing under the camera menu. If I open anyway, it looks ok but no frames get captured.
[QHY5(Native WDM)]
Resolution=1280x1024
FPS=8.00
Colour Space=MONO8
Output Format=AVI files (*.avi)
Frame Rate Limit=Maximum
Exposure=31.3ms
Timestamp Frames=Off
Gamma=1
Gain=60
Apply Flat=None
Subtract Dark=None
Display Brightness=1
Display Contrast=1
Display Gamma=1
TimeStamp=2017-11-23T01:06:39.6273686Z
admin
Site Admin

Re: Capturing: 0 frames

Post by admin »

Hi,

the fact that the camera didn't appear under 'QHY Cameras' in the menu indicates that the SDK did not detect the camera correctly, which can be related to driver or USB cable problems. Unfortunately manufacturers can't make the DirectShow camera entries disappear when the camera is not connected, so they still show and can be selected even when the camera is not responding properly.

I am still waiting for a fix for a long term bug with the QHY-5II cameras with the current (and recent) QHY SDK, so the best version of SharpCap to use with these cameras for imaging purposes may be 2.8 (the last version before the bug was added). More recent versions cannot set low gain values on these cameras. I don't think that 2.8 on its own will fix your problem with the camera not being detected properly, but it is worth a try. It's also worth trying alternative software to talk to the camera - if that all fails too then you definitely have a connection/driver issue rather than a SharpCap issue.

cheers,

Robin
RadOD

Post by RadOD »

I had mistakenly installed the QHY5 not the QHY5ii drivers.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good to hear that's fixed then :)

Robin