Sharpcap doesn’t find Cygwin for Plate Solve

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
GaryS

Sharpcap doesn’t find Cygwin for Plate Solve

Post by GaryS »

Hi
I’ve been trying unsuccessfully multiple times to download the plate solving files to the Intel Nuc I use at the scope for controlling mount, camera, filter wheel, etc.

I had no problems setting up Astrotortilla and Cygwin for my laptop which I have inside connecting via RDP to the Nuc. The location of the ‘solve-field’ file shows up as needed under ‘detect automatically’.

When downloading, the ‘Downloads Additional files’ (index .fits images I guess) message by Cygwin took about 20 minutes and at the end of it all, it did not show up in the plate solving ‘Detect Automatically’ line (see image. When I tried to browse to the files, all I found under Cygwin were two folders: ‘usr’ and ‘var’ - incredibly frustrating. Plus we’re having SQM 20-21 dark skies right now which I am totally missing.

Thank you for any help you can provide.
Gary
33E67A6B-715E-4AE1-A6B3-F66D10C8A585.png
33E67A6B-715E-4AE1-A6B3-F66D10C8A585.png (116.42 KiB) Viewed 385 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sharpcap doesn’t find Cygwin for Plate Solve

Post by admin »

Hi,

I suspect that the installation of the cygwin/astrometry.net part of Astrotortilla didn't work properly (it requires downloading most of cygwin during the install , so perhaps connectivity issues or server problems). That leaves you with a few files in c:\cygwin, but nowhere near all the ones that are needed.

I have managed to get this (only usr and var in c:\cygwin) to happen myself in testing just now by deliberately deleting the existing c:\cygwin directory of a good Astrotortilla install and then trying to reinstall. Somehow the installer skips past installing all the main cygwin packages. So far, I don't understand why. It may be easiest to just use one of the other plate solving options like ASPS, Ansvr or Astap.

cheers,

Robin
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Thank you so much for trying this Robin. Before reading your note, I had just written myself a note to try ASTAP on the Nuc. I’ll continue with my working version of Astrotortilla on the laptop when I’m able to site at the scope.
Cheers
Gary.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Gary,

my guess is (and this is only a guess) that something that the Astrotortilla installer tries to download has moved to a new URL, and the installer is not spotting that the download fails, so just skips past big chunks of what it sould be doing.

cheers,

Robin