Do I need to Keep CSV files from sensor analysis

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
stbkaiser

Do I need to Keep CSV files from sensor analysis

Post by stbkaiser »

Hi
So I just ran Sharpcap Pro v 4.0 last night on my 2 ZWO cameras.
I used the capture data function and saved the data to excel files.
No problem, this worked just fine.
Then I noticed Sharpcap had created CSV files on my desktop.
I don't remember it doing this before.
I notice the "Created" csv files contain information not captured from the final report page
Exposure (ms) Signal (% of max)

So, as I understand it , Sharpcap uses xx.json files for the cameras for its smart Histogram operations?

If I move or remove the Sharpcap created CSV files will this cause a problem for the Smart Histogram function?
Are these files useful in some way for the understanding of how my imager is performing?

Thanks for your help on this.
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Re: Do I need to Keep CSV files from sensor analysis

Post by admin »

Hi,

you can delete those files - they track the progress of the sensor linearity check during the analysis procedure and are only there for 'user interest' only to allow more detail about the linearity measurement to be checked. Of course the linearity measurement is only as good as the stability of the light source while the measurement is happening - most low linearity measurements come from fluctuation of light levels.

cheers,

Robin
stbkaiser

Post by stbkaiser »

Thanks Robin
Always glad to learn new aspects of your software.
I’ll analyze the files to see how well my iPad Pro is performing as my light source for the sensor calibration.
Take care and stay safe.
Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

tablets and phones are a bit of a dodgy light source for analysis - mostly because they tend to have a dynamic brightness feature that will adjust the screen brightness if the surrounding light level changes. Best to turn that off if you can. Even then there may be flicker which can affect things at short exposures, but that is true of any artificial light source really.

cheers,

Robin