Brain Fail

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Newbie2021

Brain Fail

Post by Newbie2021 »

Hi,
I was successful in performing the sensor analysis, and The Brain worked fine when I first tried it on the 7th of July (see photo). However, last night, 31st of July, when I clicked on ‘Measure’ nothing happened. I waited 10 minutes with no activity, camera settings didn’t change.
I tried a smaller selected area, tried shutting down the program and restarting it, tried selecting ‘Auto’ for gain and exposure length on the camera settings and nothing changed. There was no activity. What could I be doing wrong please? I have a ZWO 071MC Pro.
Thanks for your help in advance.
John
FE0FDBAA-D448-4A3C-A141-AC50AEA9B847.jpeg
FE0FDBAA-D448-4A3C-A141-AC50AEA9B847.jpeg (326.8 KiB) Viewed 447 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Brain Fail

Post by admin »

Hi,

first you are using SharpCap 3.2 - the latest version of SharpCap is 4.0, which you can find on the downloads page. There have been lots of bug fixes between 3.2 and 4.0, including some with the measurement of sky brightness, so it would definitely be worth trying 4.0.

What should happen is that the camera should take gradually longer exposures. You should not put the camera into auto exposure or auto gain mode while these measurements are taking place, as that would ruin the measurements.

If you still have problems with 4.0, please post the SharpCap log (captured after the problem has happened) there will be lots of information in there that will help me track down what is going on.

thanks,

Robin
Newbie2021

Post by Newbie2021 »

Thanks Robin,
I will follow up on which version I have and let you know how I go.
I would like to take this opportunity to to express my appreciation for your efforts.
Reading through your responses to various posts on peoples problems I can see how much effort you put in.
Thanks again.
John
Newbie2021

Post by Newbie2021 »

Hi Robin,
I upgraded to version 4.0 and The Brain worked just fine last night.
Thanks for your help,
John