32 vs 64 bit SC 4.0

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Broz

32 vs 64 bit SC 4.0

Post by Broz »

Is there any downside to using the 32 bit version of 4.0? I have an ASI294MC Pro (~ 12 Mpixel) through a 1200 mm, 8" Newtonian (F/6), image scale isabout .8 ". Reason for asking is the lack of AVX extensions on my new scope-side PC that will be running SC. The Celeron 5030 processor doesn't have the AVX extensions that are used for some parts of 64 bit SC 4.0. Robin has responded that at some point he will probably ship separate versions, but in the mean-time, any reason not to just use the 32 bit version. Alternatively, does anyone know what features of 4.0 used the AVX extensions? Thanks,
John
admin
Site Admin

Re: 32 vs 64 bit SC 4.0

Post by admin »

Hi,

basically with high resolution cameras you can end up running out of memory (or at least running out of large blocks of continuous memory) for things like the bitmaps used to display the camera image. SharpCap has its own memory management routines that let it go beyond 4Gb in a 32-bit process for SharpCap's own image buffers and many processing algorithms, but some parts rely on operating system memory which can eventually run dry.

The AVX is used in a DLL which does a whole range of image processing functions from sharpening to noise reduction to star detection. Unfortunately the AVX error happens when the DLL loads, so with a non-AVX CPU you cannot use any functionality in that DLL :(

cheers,

Robin
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

just a question - have you tried ignoring the warning and using live stacking or focus detection on your non-AVX CPU. I just went to look at the change I would need to make to turn off AVX and it seems I may have already done it in 4.0 but forgot to turn off the warning :(

If you can live stack with the 'Test Camera 1' without a crash in 64-bit then everything else should be fine too.

cheers,

Robin
Broz

Post by Broz »

Robin,
I haven't taken delivery of the PC yet, but I will try the 64 bit version first when it gets here. If that crashes, I'll step back to the 32 bit version and wait for any updates. Thanks,
John
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi John,

I found that the place I had disabled AVX was only one of two places where it was necessary - I'm hoping to put out an update next week that will not require AVX on the 64 bit version :)

cheers,

Robin
Broz

Post by Broz »

Thanks Robin,
John