Sensor Analysis electrons per pixel per second?

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
joeytroy

Sensor Analysis electrons per pixel per second?

Post by joeytroy »

I ran the sensor analysis for my camera in SharpCap and wondering how to figure out the electrons per pixel per second as the numbers are higher than what is listed on ZWO's website? I am trying to recreate Dr. Robin Glover's data for the 183MM-P as I learn by doing.

Thanks in advance!

SharpCap Sensor Analysis 183MM-P

Dr. Robin Glover's YouTube video

I am not 100% but I think this it?

admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis electrons per pixel per second?

Post by admin »

Hi,

the figures that you've posted are typical of running the sensor analysis with the camera in 8 bit mode (RAW8, MONO8). The figures you see on manufacturer web sites will be those obtained when running the camera at its full bit depth (12 bits for the 183 sensor). If you put your camera into MONO16 mode (it's called 16 on the ZWO cameras because there is no easy way for SharpCap to get the real bit depth of the sensor aside from the analysis) and re-run the analysis, you should get the familiar results.

cheers,

Robin
joeytroy

Re: Sensor Analysis electrons per pixel per second?

Post by joeytroy »

Dr. Glover,

Thanks you for the info. I will rerun in 16bit! Your YouTube video on this subject has peaked my interest to learn more about the whole process of AP and not just the taking pictures part.

I appreciate your time,

Joey Troy