The Brain

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Newbie2021

The Brain

Post by Newbie2021 »

Hello,
From what I have read, it appears that in proposing exposure times, gain, and the number of sub-images to be taken, The Brain does not need to know the brightness of the target object, and is trying to capture the faintest detail just above the noise level. Is my understanding correct?
If so, then when imaging a brighter target I assume that I should use The Brain’s suggestions and then analyse the histogram and make changes to the settings accordingly?

Speaking of histograms, it seems that you can’t use SharpCap’s histogram to analyse a captured image(?) Being able to do so would be an advantage to me.

Regards,
John
admin
Site Admin

Re: The Brain

Post by admin »

Hi John,

you are correct that the analysis looks at optimizing for brightnesses at or just above the background sky glow level. This is usually a reasonable thing to do as even with a significantly brighter target you want to capture good details in the edges/fainter parts of the target, which are typically only slightly brighter than the sky glow.

If you want to look at a captured image in the histogram, you can use either the 'Test Camera 1 (Deep Sky)' or the 'Folder Monitor Camera' to reload a previously saved image into SharpCap as if it had just come from a camera. It's a bit of a workaround, but it should be usable.

Robin
Newbie2021

Re: The Brain

Post by Newbie2021 »

Thank you Robin