svbony

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Silent-Shrill

svbony

Post by Silent-Shrill »

Hi. I have a sv105 camera that I purchased a few years ago. Never used it, but tried it out with the sharpcap pro last night. I have an altair camera I use, but wanted to see if the bony was any good. I also notice sharpcap have the svbony associated with them. So it hooked up ok, sc recognised it, but the resolution could not be changed from 160x120! the resolution claim from svbony is 1920x1080 and max frame rate of 30fps. The sc pro would not let me change from 5fps. I could not change the frame rate or resolution in sc pro, could someone explain why please?
admin
Site Admin

Re: svbony

Post by admin »

Hi,

the SV105 and 205 cameras only work via the Windows webcam system, so SharpCap does not have direct control over the camera as it does with the 305/305PRO.

I have the 205 here to test with and I get a full list of resolutions to choose from.

Based on experience with other webcams, you may find that the available options for resolution or FPS change if you change the 'colour space' option of the camera. Failing that, try showing the 'Video Capture Pin' dialog (in the options menu in SharpCap 3.2, in the camera controls in 4.0) which gives you access to the camera's own resolution setting dialog.

cheers,

Robin
Silent-Shrill

Post by Silent-Shrill »

You hit the nail on the head. It's a webcam, not an astronomical camera as svbony claims. They, of course, did not mention that, but instead claimed it worked with sharpcap. I know it's a piece of rubbish, a webcam stuck in an astronomical housing, and marketed for something it was not intended for.

I will stick with Altair.

BTW. I purchased the pro, checked my P/A, and it was "good", about 5 mins later, using the P/A, it was excellent. Very impressed with how easy it was. Well worth the £10
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Yep, back in the day when I started writing SharpCap we were taking webcams to bits and rehousing them in 1.25" eyepiece cases. Lots of companies have followed that route with cheap 'astro' cameras since then. SVBony do seem to be progressing their range now, which is good to see.

Glad to hear that the PA worked well for you :)

cheers,

Robin