First attempt at sequencing

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
DanK

First attempt at sequencing

Post by DanK »

My first attempt at using the SC Sequencer in version 4.0

Plate solve in generic, outside of sequencing works at Gain 800, Exposure 10 seconds. Gain 100 and 10 seconds was not adequate.
However, the same gain and exposure settings for plate solve, in sequencing prior to execution of the imaging (sequencing) plan doesn't work and plan doesn't get off the ground. So Sequencing plan fails.

I have PhD2 all set-up however because of the initial failure of the plate solve it never gets that far. The program or instructions do not tell the user to have the camera and the mount already connected in PhD2 or for PhD2 running.

Clarification on terminology used: "overriding gain", "overriding exposure"...my understanding is that this refers to the Gain and exposures used in the Lights (sequencing) plan. It seems like there is redundancy here.

I had dithering set at every 300 seconds...but moot point as plate solving prior to execution of sequencing fails.

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Re: First attempt at sequencing

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

can you share the script you set up and the log that it produced in the sequencer progress log - as much as possible I've tried to make the sequencer progress log show 'useful' information to explain why something failed to work.

Override gain and exposure... At the top of the planner you get to choose a default gain/exposure in the 'Camera Settings' section - these get used for all captures unless you override them (which you might for flats or focus/plate solving).

Robin
DanK

Post by DanK »

Robin:

My override Gain is 100 and exposure is 180 seconds.
Even though I did a plate-solve to select my object (works beautifully)...the gain was 800 and exposure 10 seconds.

In the sequencer, before the sequencing actually begins, the program does another (precision?) plate solve...Is the override Gain setting in sequencing interfering with the precision plate solve and thus failing?

I won't get a chance to try it out until the next clear night..possibly tomorrow night. I will make screenshots or take photos of the screen as a tool in solving the problem.

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

yes, screenshots would be great, but the SharpCap log after the sequence has run will be the most important - it contains details of every step and all the status/info/error messages, so gives a real trace of what is going on.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (45.31 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
The settings for exposure/gain for the initial plate solve are the ones highlighted above. Note that there is a 'Test' button next to most things in the planner. Press that button and SharpCap will test out just that stage of the sequence, so you can check all the individual bits work on their own before trying them all together.

To explain the overrides, look at the example below :
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (61.06 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
Here the default exposure is set to 60s and the default gain to 1.

The first capture line - capturing flats - will override these values and use exposue 1s, gain 30. The second and third lines will use the default (60s, gain 1) for capture of darks and lights.

cheers,

Robin
DanK

Post by DanK »

Robin this is very helpful...I think I will have success with my next attempt...

Dan Kahraman
DanK

Post by DanK »

Robin:

I would have never thought of looking at "capture" as I was treating Sequencing separate from "Capture". I suppose in the simpler forms there is considerable similarity but Sequencing has the ability of automating many other imaging steps and procedures.

Dan Kahraman
DanK

Post by DanK »

Robin:

I am not at my scope and camera so "Deep Sky Sequence Planner" is not available (greyed out).

Dan
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

yes, the idea of the sequence planner is to allow automation of capture *and* all the things that go around capture, like focus, target finding, etc. Essentially you should end up with the ability to press the 'start' button and let SharpCap get on with the whole imaging session. Of course you can do this in the main sequence editor, but that's a bit geeky for most people, so the planner provides a slightly limited but easier to use approach.

As you've noticed the planner needs you to select a camera so it can present the right options for the capabilities of your camera (gain ranges, etc). You can always use one of SharpCap's built in test cameras to have a play when not at your imaging rig.

cheers,

Robin
DanK

Post by DanK »

Robin:

Is it possible to sequence one image group with say x number of subs etc and after that is completed move to another object and do the same, maybe I should re-phrase it "one sequence, followed by another")? My approach is quite simple in that I am not using a focuser that is ASCOM controlled or a filter advancing system....Would this allow for all the steps that were set-up in the first sequence to now be applied to the second sequence?

For now I am quite happy to do 2 hour sequences of a particular object...then move to the next.
I haven't done meridian flips (this is something that I will have to be present at as my domes have blind spots overhead and will require my rotating it to create openings....I don't see myself getting into NB or RGB imaging (monochrome CMOS+filters).....however IF this can be entirely mechanized and the scope put to park after an all night session then......Yes I saw the Park Scope after imaging is done.

After my limited run I slewed to various objects, plate solved, stretched the image and entertained myself...in spite of the advancing thicker cloud banks and the rising mount.

Will make my flats and darks tonight even though this is the Mallincamsky DS10c I am using. So far so good!!!

I am thrilled beyond description at last night's results.

Well done Dr. Glover!

Dan Kahraman
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Dan,

you can do the sort of thing you are describing (having a list of targets and to image on each of them), but you need to use the advanced sequence editor for that - it's beyond the scope of the sequence planner at the moment.

Probably the easiest way to achieve this right now would be to set up each target in the planner, then when you have the plan correct, press 'advanced edit', then save from the editor - for instance make 3 saved sequence files (perhaps) : m42.scs, m45.scs, m13.scs

Now clear the advanced sequence editor (File->New) and add the step 'Run the sequence of steps in <sequence to run>' three times (from the advanced section). In each of those, press the '...' button next to the 'Sequence to run' property to select one of each of your saved sequences. You will end up with a master sequence like this:

Code: Select all

SEQUENCE
    RUN SEQUENCE FROM C:\Users\robin\Desktop\m45.scs
    RUN SEQUENCE FROM C:\Users\robin\Desktop\m42.scs
    RUN SEQUENCE FROM C:\Users\robin\Desktop\m13.scs
END SEQUENCE
Running that will image the three targets one after the other. At least it should - I haven't actually tested it in this manner myself, but it's supposed to work that way.

As you can see, it's definitely possible (and there are other ways to achieve the same goal in the sequencer), but it requires more of a 'geek index' right now, particularly with 4.0 still in beta testing. As this all gets finished off and any remaining bugs get found and fixed, this will probably become more mainstream.

cheers,

Robin