Which darks for LiveStack+Capture strategy

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
zerolatitude

Which darks for LiveStack+Capture strategy

Post by zerolatitude »

Hi,

I have very high light pollution, so generally exposure recommended by Brain is under 5 sec. This results in a very large number of subs, so I normally do 10-15 sec max.

Now, following a post in this forum, I am thinking about a combo of Livestack + Capture. That is, set LS to save and reset after 18 images of 10 sec each, effectively an exposure of 180sec. Then stack 20 such stacked files, for a total integration time of 1 hour.

Anything conceptually wrong with this approach?

Also, what about the darks - which is correct (or at least better)?

Option 1: Use darks / flats while live stacking. Then just stack the final 20 livestacks , or

Option 2: In livestack, just stack the lights. Then subtract the darks and flats as usual while doing the final stacking. But then, should the darks be 10 sec or 180 sec?

Thanks in advance
turfpit

Re: Which darks for LiveStack+Capture strategy

Post by turfpit »

This viewtopic.php?t=561 is an example of what can be achieved with a 'stack of stacks'. Click on the astrobin link to see the final image.

If you capture a 10s light, then the corresponding dark should be 10s (plus same gain & offset).

As for option 1 v option 2 - why not just try both and compare the results?

Dave
zerolatitude

Post by zerolatitude »

Dave,

Thanks for the link. The approach seems to work well.

As to why I'm not trying it out - one word - rains. It's going to be cloudy and rainy for the next few months where I live - clear nights will be far and few in between. So thought I'll take the benefits of others' experience. :D

Conceptually though, I will probably start (when I have the chance), with calibrating after the live stacks are done. It will probably be more flexible in case the flat or dark needs to be redone for some reason.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#The%20 ... 0Interface

You could check 'save all frames'. That way you can stack calibrated frames and save all frames as uncalibrated. This gives you live stacks plus uncalibrated frames which can be processed in the traditional way (or run through live stack using the folder monitor).

Dave