How do I find the factory set offset in ZWO cameras

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
GaryS

How do I find the factory set offset in ZWO cameras

Post by GaryS »

Hi:
Probably a boring question but perhaps easy to answer.

I have ASI 178MM and ASI 294 MC cameras. I was told that the 'Brightness' setting in SC is essentially displaying the offset (distance in adu to the right of the left side of the histogram) that ZWO has pre-set for their cameras and that this offset is what should be used for making both lights and calibration frames for those lights.

I believe I read in this SC forum somewhere that when the camera is connected to and selected in SC, the pre-set offset number is what the Brightness setting displays when you first connect the camera in SC. At some point a year ago, I manually set the Brightness to 10 and have not changed it since. Each time I open SC and connect a camera, the Brightness displays 10.

So, my question is: how do I get SC to display the 'Offset' that ZWO had factory-set? I assume that changing the Brightness changes the actual offset that the camera uses and that the 'pre-set' number is not a 'fixed' offset amount.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer in this - cheers
Gary
Menno555

Re: How do I find the factory set offset in ZWO cameras

Post by Menno555 »

Hi

SharpCap indeed remembers the latest settings of the camera.
As far as I know you can "reset" that if you go to C:\Users\*username*\AppData\Roaming\SharpCap\CaptureProfiles\ in Windows Explorer and delete the INI file with your camera name in it. Next time in SharpCap when you connect, SharpCap will use the initial Zwo settings.

Menno
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Gary

Holding down the <CONTROL> key while connecting the camera will get you back to the Sharpcap default camera settings.

Dave
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Thank you very much Menno Dave!
Gary
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Hi Guys
I’ve tried both approaches and neither seems to work. See below and let me know if I misunderstood your instructions.

Menno: following your suggestion, I ran into a wall when there was no ‘AppData’ in the pathway to select after selecting my ‘username’. There was a ‘Roaming’ folder displayed after selecting my username but under that was only a folder ‘Intel’.

Dave: when I held down Ctrl while clicking on my specific camera in the drop down under ‘cameras’, SC opened with whatever Brightness setting I had entered previously. I had the camera plugged into the computer before I tried this.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Gary

'Appdata' is a hidden folder. In File Manager, select 'View' tab and check 'Hidden Items'. This is for Windows 10.

Try setting the Brightness to something else - say the maximum setting. Then close the camera via a the menu. Close & Restart SharpCap. Hold down <CONTROL> and reconnect the camera, see what happens. You may have already been at the default setting for Brightness.

Dave
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Gary

Just thought of this now: you can also enter the default settings yourself for the 294MC camera, I had that one myself.
There are 2 defaults though: in the Zwo SDK it is brightness/offset is 30 en default gain is 120. But in the ASCOM the brightness/offset is 8. And that last one worked best for me.

Menno
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Hi Menno
I am trying to find what ZWO sets as the offset. I do know that I can set it with the slider in SC but have been trying to find the preset offset that the camera comes with natively.

I don’t know what ‘SDK’ is from your note, but those two numbers you mention are what I’ve found elsewhere anecdotally - 30 for offset and 120 for unity gain. I was hoping to verify this from within SC as it ‘reads’ my camera data as it opens the camera.
Thank you for your help.
Gary
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Hi Gary

SC doesn't read the camera but reads data from files. The Zwo SDK is like a database with all kind of settings, values and so on released by Zwo itself.
SC has that incorporated in the program and thus knows these values.

Menno
GaryS

Post by GaryS »

Great...can you direct me to where I can find and read those files?
Gary