Saving Snapshots ls as .jpg

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
timschaeffer

Saving Snapshots ls as .jpg

Post by timschaeffer »

Hello,
I am using a ASI462MC camera with Sharpcap 3.2.
Even though I set the 'Preferred Still Format" under File>SharpCap Settings to .jpg, the Snapshot button always saves a .png. Do I need to set this format in another window as well?

Thanks!

Tim
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving Snapshots ls as .jpg

Post by admin »

Hi,

JPG may not be available if you are running a camera in RAW mode - saving RAW images in JPG would corrupt them as the compression would badly damage the colour information. JPG is also not available if the bit depth of the image is more than 8.

Even if you run the camera in RGB mode, you will need to manually select JPG format as the output format for the camera (unselect 'Auto' and then change to JPG). The reason for this is that saving in JPG throws away image data, which means that SharpCap will not consider that format as an option when looking for the right 'Auto' selected format.

cheers,

Robin
rampitup

'Save as Viewed with Live Stacking' -> as JPG?

Post by rampitup »

I try to address this in this part of the forum in the hope, that someone has already realized it:

We are currently setting up our new EAA at our public observatory, working with a RASA 11" and QHY268C with SharpCap pro. So far things work well apart from some unknown program failures which probably should be fixed soon. At present, we save the pictures 'Save as Viewed with Live Stacking' as TIFF.

However, our intention is to provide visitors to the observatory not only the pictures 'Save as Viewed with Live Stacking' on a TV screen but also with a picture which can be sent to their smart phones. JPG would fit nicely for this purpose.

Can this be done easily without using an extra program?
Converting TIFFs into JPGs by third party program is too time consuming for our our project.

Thanks and regards
Roland
admin
Site Admin

Re: Saving Snapshots ls as .jpg

Post by admin »

Hi Roland,

the save format from that button is chosen based on the 'preferred still format' in the first page of the settings (https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#General%20Tab) - if you set that to JPG then you will get JPG files saved. Note however that you will also get JPG saved in some other places where a file format is not specified (although SharpCap is smart enough to know not to save RAW or 16 bit images in JPG - it will likely save those in PNG instead).

cheers,

Robin