Codec support

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
DrAstro

Codec support

Post by DrAstro »

I am testing the IOTA RunCam with a StarTech video capture dongle. I normally use the IOTA Capture program but wanted to try SharpCap.

I configured SharpCap to save the captured file as an .AVI in order to compare the output with the IOTA Capture software.
SharpCap saved the file in .AVI format, but I noticed there wasn't a way to specify the Codec.

The recommended codec for occultation use is the Lagarith Lossless codec.

Is there an option in SharpCap to control the codec? If not, what .AVI codec is used?

DrAstro
admin
Site Admin

Re: Codec support

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap does not support compression of AVI files - all saved video in AVI will be saved in uncompressed RGB format.

If you are doing occultation measurements, I would recommend using SER output format instead - in SER, each frame has a timestamp which can be read by processing software.

cheers,

Robin
DrAstro

Post by DrAstro »

how does SharpCap apply a date/time stamp to the SER output when the video capture is NTSC/PAL with on screen VTI information?
is it doing on the fly screen scraping?
or did you mean it time stamps based on system time?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's based on system time at the time that SharpCap receives the image - unfortunately you can't do much better than that with a frame grabber. Of course there is the QHY 174 GPS camera that can timestamp the start/end of each frame down to microsecond precision relative to GPS with appropriate calibration (or millisecond without worrying about the calibration).

cheers,

Robin