SharpCap Plate Solving and Planetarium Software

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
oopfan

SharpCap Plate Solving and Planetarium Software

Post by oopfan »

Last night I was reading the SharpCap documentation with the express purpose of learning more about the integrated plate solving via AstroTortilla/ASPS. Unfortunately I do not have a Go-To Mount but I do have quality Setting Circles. With a bit of luck I can get my target within the FOV of my ASI120, it all depends on how meticulously I calibrate the Setting Circles and then slew to the exact hour-angle and declination of the target with the help of some software that I wrote. I am pleased when I am in the frame but other times I am significantly out-of-frame. Either way I still depend on plate solving (via nova.astrometry.net) to get the DSO centered since the DSO is almost always invisible with short exposures.

So what I am getting at is this: if I were to install planetarium software like C2A or KStars on my Windows laptop, can I get SharpCap to send a message to the planetarium software to draw a box at the coordinates where the plate-solver says the scope is pointed? From there I can make adjustments to the slow motion controls, and then press the button in SharpCap to do another plate solve. This would be enormously helpful to me.

Thank you!
admin
Site Admin

Re: SharpCap Plate Solving and Planetarium Software

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think the best that you can do is use the 'Plate Solve' option from the tools menu in SharpCap 3.1 to do a blind plate solve and then put the figures from that into the planetarium program. I can't think of a way to make the idea you are describing happen with the current versions of SharpCap.

cheers,

Robin
oopfan

Re: SharpCap Plate Solving and Planetarium Software

Post by oopfan »

Yes, that can work. I've got KStars on my Linux laptop, and I can manually enter RA and DEC. Now all I need to do is download 3.1 beta to my Windows laptop. I've already got ASPS installed with the proper index files for my FL and camera's FOV, so I am good there.

Robin, I read on the forum that in order to get a fast solve time and a successful one that SC needs to know the approximate pointing direction of the scope within 15 degrees. Will the Plate Solve option from the Tools menu allow me to manually enter in a "first-guess" RA and DEC? If I close the dialog after a successful plate solve and then re-open it will SC remember the RA and DEC or do I have to re-enter it? After a successful plate solve will it give me J2000 coordinates or "of date" or both?

Thanks!