Plate solve troubles

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
astrorunner

Plate solve troubles

Post by astrorunner »

Hi Robin!

First, just want to say I love your software. I have been a SharpCap pro user for a couple years now. I feel it is worth every penny and I am very happy that you will interact with us users to help as well!

The plate solver is something I really really want to get working as trying to get my SkyX sync'd up is terribly challenging right now with my Celestron C9.25. I am just shooting at prime focus with a T-adapter, ASI-294, no reducer right now. Focal length is 2350 mm. My FOV is about 28x19 arc minutes. Often my stars are bloated or seem slightly fuzzy with this FOV and scope, but scope has been well collimated and others have looked at it and I don't think there is anything wrong there. However, plate solvers like Astrometry or the one PixInsight uses seem to struggle with images from this scope (with lenses, no problem).

Having said that, I'd really like to get this working if at all possible. I'm attaching a screen shot of my current settings. I downloaded All Sky Plate Solver and also the H18 star database. I see no errors when I run it, but it identifies 0 stars each time. It successfully communicates with my Orion Atlas Pro mount (I can move the mount using ShapCap controls).

Please advise some things to try, and if you need log screen shots or anything else please let me know how to grab those and I will send!

Thanks again SO MUCH,
Bert Herald (Natural Bridge, Virginia)
Attachments
Example FOV with C9.25 setup
Example FOV with C9.25 setup
_00001.jpg (838.25 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
SharpCap platesolve settings
SharpCap platesolve settings
settings platesolve.png (166.42 KiB) Viewed 1245 times
astrorunner

Re: Plate solve troubles

Post by astrorunner »

PS -- I apologize if I posted this to the wrong forum, please move if needed
astrorunner

Post by astrorunner »

Here is some of the log from tonight (v3.3.7253 beta):

Info 20:44:21.165307 #1 20:43:58 "c:\Program Files\Astap\Astap.exe" -f "C:\Users\bert_\AppData\Local\Temp\bb9af235-6158-4be7-adb4-3aedcd7553cc\frame.png" -ra 0.000 -spd 90.000 -r 180.000 -z 0 -log in async Task<SolveResults> SharpCap.ImageProcessing.AstapPlateSolver.SolveImpl(string imageFile, RADecPosition approxPosition, CancellationToken cancellationToken, double searchRadius, double minScale, double maxScale)
Info 20:44:21.165307 #1 20:44:00 Creating monochromatic x 2 binning image for solving/star alignment. in async Task<SolveResults> SharpCap.ImageProcessing.AstapPlateSolver.SolveImpl(string imageFile, RADecPosition approxPosition, CancellationToken cancellationToken, double searchRadius, double minScale, double maxScale)
Info 20:44:21.166340 #1 20:44:01 172 stars, 119 quads selected in the image. 156 database stars, 108 database quads required for the square search field of 1.0°. Search window at 100% based on the number of quads. Step size at 100% of image height in async Task<SolveResults> SharpCap.ImageProcessing.AstapPlateSolver.SolveImpl(string imageFile, RADecPosition approxPosition, CancellationToken cancellationToken, double searchRadius, double minScale, double maxScale)
Info 20:44:21.166340 #1 20:44:01 Using star database H18 in async Task<SolveResults> SharpCap.ImageProcessing.AstapPlateSolver.SolveImpl(string imageFile, RADecPosition approxPosition, CancellationToken cancellationToken, double searchRadius, double minScale, double maxScale)
Info 20:44:21.166340 #1 20:44:21 No solution found! :( in async Task<SolveResults> SharpCap.ImageProcessing.AstapPlateSolver.SolveImpl(string imageFile, RADecPosition approxPosition, CancellationToken cancellationToken, double searchRadius, double minScale, double maxScale)
Debug 20:44:21.170331 #1 Notification (Status=Error): Plate solve failed - only 0 stars found. Maybe too few? Try increasing exposure or gain. Error was : 20:44:21 No solution found! :( in void SharpCap.UI.NotificationViewModel.DisplayMessage(NotificationMessage message)
I
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I can see from the log text that you are using the option to run the plates solving from the tools menu, which searches across the whole sky. In order for this to work in Astap, Astap needs to know your field-of-view so that it can search the sky in the correct size chunks. Although Astap does have a mode where it tries different sizes for the field of view, this is incredibly slow if applied when searching the whole sky, so SharpCap does not activate it.

I find that AstroTortilla/ASPS/AnSvr are better for whole sky searches, but Astap is very fast for the search when launched from the mount control 'GPS' button (that only searches within 15 degrees of the current mount position).

cheers,

Robin
astrorunner

Post by astrorunner »

Thanks. I didn’t see how to do the “GPS button” but I will look again tonight. I don’t remember seeing an option like this on the scope controls area.
astrorunner

Post by astrorunner »

Robin,

I located the button you mentioned but it also did not work. Do you think I would have more success if I download the other databases/software you references (ASPS and AnSvr)?

What's interesting is I always use your polar alignment routine (which is great by the way), and that plate solver always works, and it's using the same cam and scope as what I'm attempting to plate solve with now.

Bert
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

Give ASPS a try, I've installed it on multiple machines and been using it with SC for 3 years or so and it's always worked without any problems. ASPS will solve within 10 seconds or so which is a bit slower than the others I think but I don't mess with it because it's always worked without fail. It also helps you pick which index files you need when you're setting up.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

ASPS is certainly worth a try. The plate solving engine for polar alignment is built into SharpCap and specially designed for that task - unfortunately it only works out to about 6-7 degrees away from the pole.

When I tested your image it turned out that the field of view is about 0.5x0.3 degrees - quite small, meaning the solution takes longer in any application. If you start Astap and then press CTRL+A for options, then go to the Alignment tab and set 'Field of View (Height)' to 0.35 and then save/close, it may help - that means Astap will know the field of view of your setup and will try it first when plate solving next time.

Robin
astrorunner

Post by astrorunner »

Thanks all.

As for ASTAP, FYI I just ran it on the image I attached before, using the settings you mentioned Robin for 0.35 degrees FOV height and it still did not solve. Here's the info from that program:

(note: I will try again "from the field" when I have another clear night here in Virginia)

SIMPLE = T / FITS header
BITPIX = 16 / Bits per entry
NAXIS = 2 / Number of dimensions
NAXIS1 = 4144 / length of x axis
NAXIS2 = 2822 / length of y axis
EQUINOX = 2000.0 / Equinox of coordinates
DATAMIN = 0 / Minimum data value
DATAMAX = 65535 / Maximum data value
BZERO = 0.0 / Scaling applied to data
BSCALE = 1.0 / Offset applied to data
DATE-OBS= '2021-02-16T21:51:34'
COMMENT 1 Written by ASTAP, Astrometric STAcking Program. www.hnsky.org
PLTSOLVD= F / No plate solution found.
WARNING = ' Star database limit was reached!'
END
astrorunner

Post by astrorunner »

Robin,

I had success with plate solving tonight! I installed the ANSVR software/database since I last tried this. I switched the setting on SharpCap "prefer to use" to "Astrotortilla/ANSVR/ASPS" from "ASTAP". On my first try this also did not work. I tried a different part of the sky and then suddenly it worked. I then moved from SW sky to NW sky and again it kept solving, and I was thrilled!

I also did the "sync" option for the mount. One minor issue is that the sync seems to be in slight error, with objects shifted to the upper-right of my FOV and not centered. I'm attaching an image of this. The bright star is supposed to be at the center of the FOV.

I use SkyX for my slews (my "planetarium" software). Not sure if that matters or not.

Again in general I am thrilled with this, the rest of this would be fine tuning. Thank you.
Attachments
_00001.jpg
_00001.jpg (473.67 KiB) Viewed 1105 times