field of view and settings

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
major tom 1

field of view and settings

Post by major tom 1 »

Hi everyone first time posting , and a very steep learning curve,

I have just got an svbony305 and fitted it to my skywatcher 127 I managed to capture some pictures of the moon with sharpcap albeit very green colour but eventually after lowering the saturation slider I got a reasonable black and white picture. But when I try to find a star the image just does not seem to show a very wide field of view and only the brightest star seems to show on the screen, and also not very sharp.

1st question is the small field of view normal for this set up.

2nd in sharpcap could someone point me to a standard set of settings to try that should capture a star. then I can work from those standard settings

Very kind regards

Henry
nexusjeep

Re: field of view and settings

Post by nexusjeep »

Hi Henry,
That camera uses the IMX290 sensor so is quite small as an overall cell size so will have quite a tight field of view I use the Altair 290M as my guide camera. I think the SVBONY305 is this sensor with a colour matrix on top, when you say you could only see one bright star I take it you refocused out after viewing the moon as you will not see any stars at the lunar focus point also could you post some information on the settings for exposure gain you were using to see the stars as they will need to be significantly longer than used for the moon.

Cheers
Nick
major tom 1

Post by major tom 1 »

Hi Nick
thank you for the quick reply all understood with the small field of view, with the settings I did not really take notice as I never took a picture because of the not being able to see any other stars. but I will try again as soon as its possible.I am slowly getting to grips with the telescope and mount.
but I am still not sure with the settings of sharpcap but I will persevere as there are some amazing shots that I can see have been taken.
Kind regards
Henry
nexusjeep

Post by nexusjeep »

Not sure if you have an electronic focuser or not or whether you are manual focusing if you have an electronic focuser assume you have it setup in SharpCap. To get my initial focus for polar alignment / stars in general I usually set the exposure at 2 to 3 seconds and gain at 50 - 60% of the slider if you were focused on the moon then you would need to rack the focuser outwards to get to the stars and move away from the moon or you probably won't see a lot. Once I have a rough focus then I use either the FWHM tool or multi star FWHM tool to fine tune the focus.

To see more you could also click on auto stretch in the right hand pane histogram but usually I can see a reasonable number of stars without this, but play with the exposure to see what happens.

Cheers
Nick