Raw Frames Output is always TIFF

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
SteveSD

Raw Frames Output is always TIFF

Post by SteveSD »

My Raw Frames are always TIFF files even tho I set the output for FIT. What am I doing wrong?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Raw Frames Output is always TIFF

Post by admin »

Hi,

check the 'Preferred Still Format' option in the first page of the SharpCap settings - that's the format used for saving raw frames.

cheers,

Robin
SteveSD

Post by SteveSD »

Thanks, I'll do that.
SteveSD

Fits & TIFFs always opens as gray scale in DSS

Post by SteveSD »

I would have posted this as a new question but I couldn't see that option in the forum even tho I've done it before??

So It doesn't matter whether my individual raw frames are saved as fits or tiffs, they always are gray scale files in DSS even tho I capture in RAW16 with a color ZWO camera. Any reason why that's so and how can I correct it?

Also, from a post-processing perspective, is there a difference in terms of flexibility between saving as a 16 bit stack vs. saving "exactly as seen"? In other words, can you do more in post-processing saving one way vs. the other? Thanks!

Steve
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi Steve,

if you save in fits format then you can get DSS to correctly pick up the colour, but you need to tinker with the DSS options to make that work - see this thread viewtopic.php?t=911

When you save the live stack exactly as seen then you end up with an eight bit image that matches the display shown in the SharpCap window. Of course you can then postprocess this but if you stretch it more in postprocessing artefacts may show up. You probably have more scope for further processing if you use the 16-bit save option – it really depends on how much significant further processing you intend to do after saving from SharpCap.

Cheers, Robin