Explanation of sequencer steps

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
chongo228

Explanation of sequencer steps

Post by chongo228 »

Question about dithering with the sequencer that does not make sense to me ...

How does the "Dither ever <dither interval> seconds" work? If the sequencer goes one step at a time from top to bottom it seems like this one would need to run simultaneously with the "capture frames" command. Would I put this command before or after the capture frames command? Will it pause between exposures to dither? Will it restart the remaining exposures after the dither is completed?

Currently I put "capture <xxx> frames and "request a single dither" inside a repeat step and loop the repeat however many times I want between auto focus intervals. I'm wondering if the dither interval would be easier.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Explanation of sequencer steps

Post by admin »

Hi,

provided the camera is in still mode rather than live mode and you use 'Capture XXX Frames' not 'Start Capture/Stop Capture', the 'dither every XXX seconds' step will run in the background and interrupt the capture sequence either between steps or between frames within a step to perform the debayering operation before continuing capturing from where it left off.

In fact, you can use the same framework to run any block of sequencer steps in the same way – roughly at a configured interval (at the next step boundary or frame boundary after the interval is complete). This uses the 'Run a periodic task ...' / 'Stop running a periodic task' steps in the advanced section. I'm intending to use this framework for things like refocusing in future, but haven't quite got there yet.

Cheers, Robin