Updating to the lasted SharpCap sorftware

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
bluesilver

Updating to the lasted SharpCap sorftware

Post by bluesilver »

Hi, I currently have the pro version of SharpCap ( the paid version) Version 3.2.6441
I was just interested to know if i can update to the latest version or do i have to completely reinstall the newer version plus also pay for the license again?
I only just got the 3.2.6441 pro version about a month or so ago.

I also just found out that there is a ShaprCap 3 version, 3.0.4078.0, is this a different version as it looks like the latest version of this is back in 2018.
From what i can see, the latest version of SharpCap is version 3.2.6448.0 updater 3rd November 2020

If anyone can please help me out here in regards to updating to the latest version and also in regards to the ShapCap 3 version, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Menno555

Re: Updating to the lasted SharpCap sorftware

Post by Menno555 »

Hi

The version 3.2.6448.0 from 3 november is the latest version. When there is an update, you can just download and install it, the Pro license is still there then. Your Pro version is valid for a whole year from the date you paid, no matter what version.

Menno
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Menno is absolutely correct – the pro licence lasts for one year unless you use any version of SharpCap pro that you like during that time, including all updates. Right now the latest update is the November 3 version.

Cheers, Robin
bluesilver

Post by bluesilver »

Thanks for the replies, Appreciated.
Sorry about the previous question in regards to SharpCap 3, been a long shift on night shift, wasn't think too clearly.
For some reason i read the latest version as Version 2 for some weird reason, apologies for that.

So with this latest version, 3.2.6448.0
I have to uninstall my current version and re install the latest version, is this correct?
Or is there somewhere in the ShapCap program that i just click on updates and get the newest update?

If i have to reinstall the latest version, do i just copy and past my license key over, is this correct?

Sorry if i am making this sound confusing.
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

No worries :)
You can try the update function in SharpCap or download it from the site.
You just have to install it at the same place and that's it. It will update the program and all your previous settings and your license are still there. So no uninstall is needed. Only if there is something wrong (like your camera is suddenly not detected anymore), then a uninstall and a new install. But also then you don't have to put in your license key, it is remembered and applied.
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Okay, this is interesting, ‘cause every time I click on the update link within the program it tells me that there are no automatic updates available and refers me to the download page for the latest version. This I’ve done for the latest today for the latest update (March). Installing the latest version leaves the older version in place, which I then have to uninstall. At least, though, it keeps the licence in place. Also, curiously the latest version is smaller in size than the older version - which isn’t that old anyway (February).

I was using the program last night and initially, although recognising my camera (Altair hypercam 290C), showed me nothing on the screen. It wasn’t until I closed the program down and then opened it, several times, that it suddenly started working. It’s never done that before.
Life is precious, live it well.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

leaving the old version (3.2) in place when installing 4.0 is deliberate - the two can run independently of each other (you can even run both at once), so the idea is that if you find yourself outside on a clear night and the new version is not working correctly, you can instantly switch back to the previous version.

I will look into the Altair issue - I have seen some glitches with the latest SDK update too - I wonder if it contains a new bug :(

Robin
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

Many thanks, Robin. It’s certainly never happened before, so it completely threw me. It did eventually work, so all’s good and I connected the camera to it today - just as a test - just pointing it at the light and putting the cap back on and it responded fine.

The update I was referring to was the update of 3.2 from March, from the previous update in February. Interesting that you mention keeping a previous version installed - I’ll have to remember that next time.

I was using it last night to see what my polar alignment was like, I was using an APM image master and an Altair hypercam 290C. I corresponded with you before, when I couldn’t seem to get it to work - too narrow a view. This combination worked well and advised me that my alignment was fair - good for me. I tried to continue - first page was successful, as was the second - but clouds, unfortunately meant I never manage to get to excellent.

I hope you don’t mind me asking in this reply - I know it’s off topic - but I’d like to ask some daft questions. Instructions last night advised me to move the mount up and left; up, I get - means pointing higher up the sky, right? - but move the mount left? I’m at latitude 51.50, so does move the mount left mean west? If clouds hadn’t stopped me I’d have found out for myself - trial and error - but for future reference it’d be nice to know.

It’s going to take me ages to learn this program, but I’m getting there. Thank you for making it so easily available. 👍😊
Lobo

Post by Lobo »

I really should read the instructions better, shouldn’t I? My excuse is there’s so many of them. I’ve got it now. Stand behind the scope, facing north, up is exactly that, down, towards the ground, left is west and therefore right is east. Sorry about that. 😊
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

yep, that's the left/right/up/down trick - looking past the scope towards the pole.

The previous version stays when you install a brand new major update (ie install 4.0 and you keep 3.2 on your computer). If you install 3.2.6482 it will uninstall 3.2.6473 though.

Robin