FWHM Units

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Rab722

FWHM Units

Post by Rab722 »

Are the FWHM units pixels?

I wonder if the scaling was arc seconds then it might be more useful. I use this software for many different setups and the FWHM is quite different for each scope. Maybe if there was a place to enter the telescope particulars and account for binning, then an actual calculation of arc seconds could be displayed instead.

Also the FX box selection can be a real hassle to find sometimes,especially if I'm zoomed in on some stars and want to use the FWHM Measurement Tool. It would be nice when the tool is selected the box shows up in the middle of the currently zoomed display and a useful size, or add a "center box" button.

Rick
admin
Site Admin

Re: FWHM Units

Post by admin »

Hi,

so far I've tried to avoid having features that rely on people doing things like entering the focal length of the telescope – to be honest I don't think I'm going to be able to maintain that position for much longer as there are so many possibilities once you know the focal length and the pixel size. The problem with needing to know the focal length is that if it's entered wrong or somebody forgets to change it then the feature doesn't work and the problem is not immediately obvious.

I'm right with you on the selection area box getting lost far too easily – perhaps something like a double-click to centre it in view might be a good enough way to resolve this problem?

Cheers, Robin
Rab722

Re: FWHM Units

Post by Rab722 »

Yes a double click where you want the box centered would be great.

Rick