Delete entries from the list of capture areas

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
mKoch

Delete entries from the list of capture areas

Post by mKoch »

Hi all,
I did add some more lines to the list of capture areas, and now I have too much of them. How can I delete some entries from this list? In which file are these settings saved?
Thanks,
Michael
admin
Site Admin

Re: Delete entries from the list of capture areas

Post by admin »

Hi Michael,

there's no way to remove these via the UI, but they are stored in the registry, so you can clear them by deleting the 'CustomResolutions' value in the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\AstroSharp Limited\SharpCap\3.0. If you want you can also edit this value to remove specific resolutions (take a copy of the original value so you can put it back if you break things)

cheers,

Robin
mKoch

Post by mKoch »

Thanks, that did work fine.

Michael
Tejpor

Post by Tejpor »

Is there a way to remove resolutions that appear to be 'factory' resolutions of a camera upon connecting?

I did check the registry in this tip - indeed, the custom added resolutions are there.

However, there are a lot of not useful camera resolutions still in the dropdown menu. Using a tablet, it can be cumbersome to scroll through, as I would use at most 2-4, not dozen.

With best,
L.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

unfortunately no way to do that - SharpCap adds a selection of resolutions along the lines of

* half height and width
* half height, full width
* half width, full height

as well as a range of 'standard' capture resolutions like 640x480 and 1280x960 to the list automatically. It is only the custom settings that are stored in the registry.

cheers,

Robin
Tejpor

Post by Tejpor »

Dear Robin,

thank you for the timely answer. In general I find the software sensible, and easy to navigate. This resolution list thing is however very inconvenient - for me, it constantly gets in the way. With my camera I get a lot of resolutions added.

Would you consider this as a feature request/improvement request from me?

I.e. a semi-hacky way would be greatly useful, for example putting all resolutions enumerated in the registry, so that they can be removed (or even added) later.

With best,
L.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

one workaround I can suggest is to create a set of capture profiles with your most frequently used resolutions in them. Although the capture profile saves all camera settings, you can manually edit the file after creating it to remove everything except the resolution, which would make profiles that only set the resolution. These would then be easily available in the capture profiles selection control at the top of the control stack. See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/4.0/#Capture%20Profiles

For change suggestions like this, I would usually not act straight away to change the product, rather waiting to see if the same issue is affecting a wider range of users.

cheers,

Robin