ASI462MC color camera shows only black and white images

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
turfpit

Re: ASI462MC color camera shows only black and white images

Post by turfpit »

Keith
However, I assumed(never assume.....) that there would probably be a manufacturers preferred matrix that utilised the sensor the best?
ASSUME will make an ASS of U and ME! The baddie in Under Siege 2 puts it better but I cannot write that in a public forum.

There is no preferred matrix. The sensor manufacturer dictates how the grid is layed out. Different camera models from the same vendor will vary as the sensors change. Camera vendor info is not important - what matters is how the processing software reads the matrix (ROW-order).
I have been forcing mine to be RGGB, so what should be the best approach ?
I come across many different makes/models of camera for testing and helping people at the local astro club. What works for me is Auto i.e. never force the pattern & let the capture and processing software handle everything.

The example below shows the capture & process of Jupiter using a ZWO ASI120MC. Captured as SER at RAW8. Throughout the capture and processing I never once thought about what the Bayer pattern is.

Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (73.54 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Playback the SER file in SER Player (from the PIP website). Note the GRBG at bottom right.
SER_Player.JPG
SER_Player.JPG (29.39 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Drag and drop the SER file onto the Open button in Autostakkert. Note that Colour is set to Auto Detect (by default) and GRGB is detected.
AS-1.JPG
AS-1.JPG (80.61 KiB) Viewed 686 times

AS-2.JPG
AS-2.JPG (51.88 KiB) Viewed 686 times

Load into Registax 6. The green cast can be sorted using RGB Balance and Auto Balance.
RS-1.JPG
RS-1.JPG (50.49 KiB) Viewed 686 times

RS-2.JPG
RS-2.JPG (45.5 KiB) Viewed 686 times

2020-06-24-0002_6.CameraSettings.txt
(752 Bytes) Downloaded 59 times

Maybe this will help clarify for you. Give the easy route a try and see what happens.

The image is poor because Jupiter was at 15° for me last year.

The only time I have ever had to be concerned about the Bayer pattern was when I had some FITS frames which had been captured by an ASCOM driver (that was with a ZWO ASI 2600MC camera) and because of the driver, no Bayer pattern had been written to the FITS headers.

Dave
KEJ

Post by KEJ »

Robin

Thank you, I didn't know that.

And I assume I could do that for all of my cameras(120MC-S, 462MC & 533MC Pro) ?

Dave also thanks for your earlier comments.

Cheers
Keith
KEJ

Post by KEJ »

All the time I was thinking there was a preferred matrix............something else I learned today.

Much appreciated thank you.