Darks and the "Flip" setting

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
descott12

Darks and the "Flip" setting

Post by descott12 »

Hello,
Does the horiz/vert flip setting matter when creating and applying a master dark? There were some thread on Cloudy Nights that suggested that you had to match the flip setting in both cases in order for them to work. My darks don't seem to be removing my hot pixels so I was wondering if that was the problem. I am guessing the answer to this is "no" and my most likely cause is a temperature mismatch but I wanted to rule this out.
Thanks
donstim

Re: Darks and the "Flip" setting

Post by donstim »

Yes, it does matter. But I bet you would rather have Robin confirm that than me!
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Dave

Flipping or not doesn't matter as long as you use the same orientation for all your frames. Take a light and flip the dark - the hot pixels don't match. Easier to imagine with flats and some big blob in the image.

Dave
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Ok, so the orientation does matter. I was wondering if SC would auto flip as needed to make sure the dark was always orientated the way the current capture is setup. So what I read on CN was correct. That is what I have been doing and my hot pixels are still pretty visible. I actually created darks for None, both, horz and vert and I pick the correct one based on how the live capture was set.
Hmmm...so my hot pixel problem must be from something else.

Thanks for the replies.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Dave

Maybe start a new thread re 'hot pixels not being removed'. Give screenshots to demonstrate the problem plus post a link to a light and a dark frame & camera settings files for both type of frames. Are you using bias frames if so ad details for those.

Has this just started happening? If so what has changed. You have been around the forum for a while now.

Dave
descott12

Post by descott12 »

Hey Dave,
I don't want to waste forum time on this until I research it a bit more. I used to use my Hyperstar alot and think the image scale probably just hid the hot pixels so I simply wasn't seeing them and I never needed darks. Now I do alot of things at longer focal lengths and the hot pixels are very obvious and there seems to be ton of them.

I am going to remake my darks and do some experiments to see what is going on. I will definitely post something if I can't figure it out. I am pretty sure it is operator error and probably temperature mismatches as I haven't been very careful with that. It is for a 294 MC PRO. I am not using bias frames.

Cheers
Dave