Can SC ignore satellite trails???

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
dalepenkala

Can SC ignore satellite trails???

Post by dalepenkala »

Hello everyone, I have a question about how or if SC can ignore or subtract the frame’s that has had a satellite come thru the image? While I have used SC for about 4-6 months now I’m still very green with it and am certainly learning it!
Is there a setting that allows me SC to ignore something like this?

Thanks in advance!

Dale
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can SC ignore satellite trails???

Post by admin »

Hi,

switching from the default stacking algorithm to the sigma clipped stacking algorithm should give you this functionality - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Stacking%20Tab.

Note that if you get a strong satellite trial in the first 10 frames while SharpCap is assessing the image statistics then you may not be protected against it appearing in the image, but as long as the first batch of frames a clear then future trials should be excluded during that stacking session.

Cheers, Robin
dalepenkala

Post by dalepenkala »

admin wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 8:33 am Hi,

switching from the default stacking algorithm to the sigma clipped stacking algorithm should give you this functionality - see https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#Stacking%20Tab.

Note that if you get a strong satellite trial in the first 10 frames while SharpCap is assessing the image statistics then you may not be protected against it appearing in the image, but as long as the first batch of frames a clear then future trials should be excluded during that stacking session.

Cheers, Robin
Thank you SO MUCH Robin! I will try this out and see how it works.
In sigma clipping the description of the adjustments within the setting there must be some sort of starting points??? If all I want to do is just make it so that if satillite/airplane’s come thru is there any suggested starting points?
Sorry for so many questions! I have had good luck and enjoy using SC and want to keep using it and learn the program better. I’m a newbie so to speak and my brain does not work well with technology! :lol:
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the best starting point is just to leave the default alone – I think the defaults are to have 10 frames captured initially without any filtering to build up the image statistics and then after that it will start to filter out anomalous sections of the image.

If you really want to experiment then set things up so that all the raw frames from the stacking session are captured and then you can run them through the stacking procedure again using the folder monitor camera later and tinker with the settings to find the ones that work best for you.

Cheers, Robin
dalepenkala

Post by dalepenkala »

admin wrote: Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:16 pm Hi,

the best starting point is just to leave the default alone – I think the defaults are to have 10 frames captured initially without any filtering to build up the image statistics and then after that it will start to filter out anomalous sections of the image.

If you really want to experiment then set things up so that all the raw frames from the stacking session are captured and then you can run them through the stacking procedure again using the folder monitor camera later and tinker with the settings to find the ones that work best for you.

Cheers, Robin
Thank you so much Robin!
I have already used this setting and its given me good results so far. Definatly has ignored sat trails in a couple images 30-40 minutes into the images!

Now I need to work on getting flats figured out correctly, but thats for a different post!

Thanks again!
Dale