Focus tool

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
destridge

Focus tool

Post by destridge »

Sharp cap works fine until I go into the focusing assistant and use the Bahtinov mask tool. When I used the tool, and exited the tool, the display was completely different. The image was much smaller, there was no detail, the exposure and gain could not get in anywhere to what it was before. I was looking at Jupiter and had it pretty well in focus, a decent sized image. There was no problem in seeing the dark bands circling. So I went to a bright star, and used the Bahtinov mask focusing tool. I only needed to tweet it a bit. When I exited the tool, as I said it was an impossible to use program. What did I do?
turfpit

Re: Focus tool

Post by turfpit »

Bahtinov Mask is really designed for focusing stars not planets.

For planets, try focusing directly on the planet. If you can see the bands on Jupiter then your focus is decent. For Saturn, because it has no easily discernible surface features, focus on the gaps between the rings and the globe.

Dave
destridge

Post by destridge »

No, sharpcap was working fine looking a Jupiter. Then I went to a bright star and put on the mask, turned on the focusing tool, thats is when everything stopped working normally. I then took off the mask turned off the tool and went back to Jupiter and just like the star, there was no combination of gain and exposure that showed anything other than a detracted image. And very small and no way to get back the image I had before.
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

OK. Best to post SharpCap version, plus exact steps/settings & any log files.

Dave
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

Post a screen shot of SC during and after the tool is being used.
destridge

Post by destridge »

Can't get back to where it was before using the tool.
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

destridge wrote: Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:36 pm Can't get back to where it was before using the tool.
Post whatever you got....a screen shot of how it looks after you run the focusing tool

Is it possible you had the display histogram stretched in a way that would hurt your image? Did you try to disconnect and reconnect the camera?