Issues with DSS when using Flat from Sharpcap

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
sandconp

Issues with DSS when using Flat from Sharpcap

Post by sandconp »

I was trying to use deep sky stacker for the first time. I added my lights, master flat and dark that I created in Sharpcap PRO and DSS is complaining about my flat being incompatible. DSS shows the depth as being ‘grey’ where as the dark and lights have RGB. The width and length of the flat is the same dimension of my lights and dark so that can’t be the problem.

If I remove the flat, DSS stacks my dark and lights with no issues.
Menno555

Re: Issues with DSS when using Flat from Sharpcap

Post by Menno555 »

Do you use the Make Flats option of SharpCap?
If so, don't. :)
Just make your calibration the normal way. DSS want's to make it's own masterfiles of the calibration files.
In general this is always the case: if you use calibration files within SharpCap, use Make Flats/Darks feature.
If you use DSS or other stacking program: make your own calibration files and let the stacking software make it's own master files.
timh

Re: Issues with DSS when using Flat from Sharpcap

Post by timh »

Hi,

I had this same issue in DSS when I tried using the master flat and dark that I had produced in Sharpcap along with 'lights' that were actually a series of 137Mb fit file ministacks produced in Sharpcap by Livestack. However - so far at least - I haven't experienced any problems with using DSS to stack Sharpcap produced master flats and master darks along with ordinary raw FIT files( also saved by Sharpcap). There is a problem if you use PNG as opposed to FIT raw files in that they don't seem to get debayered properly so it best to pre-convert those first using PIPP.

best wishes
TimH