SharpCap not connecting to mount with CPWI

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
orionic

SharpCap not connecting to mount with CPWI

Post by orionic »

I am using SharpCap Pro v3.2.6366, 64 bit, running on Windows 10 on Boot Camp.
The mount (Celestron Evolution) is controlled by CPWI (v. 2.3.4). The mount is controlled by USB (via Hand Control).
I have ASPS installed. SharpCap is able to plate solve successfully, by using Tools > Plate Solve.

The problem is that SharpCap is unable to connect to the mount (and therefore, cannot execute a correction using the plate solve button in Telescope Control panel). When I attempt to connect it by clicking "Connected" in that panel (or if I set it up to automatically connect when camera is selected), SharpCap says (approximately) "an error occurred, this often indicates a problem with the device itself or its ASCOM driver configuration. Details of the error: Check Driver: cannot create object type of progID:ASCOM.CPWI.Telescope". I selected "CPWI" in SharpCap Settings > Hardware > Mounts.

In February-May I used all the same software and connections, but had it installed on Parallels Desktop (rather than Boot Camp), and SharpCap was able to control the mount just fine, and execute plate solve corrections. (There were performance problems with that system though, hence the switch to Boot Camp currently..)

Two things I am confused/unsure about:
-Is ASCOM platform download/install required for SharpCap to work with CPWI? I think not, based on what I read somewhere? In any case, i do have ASCOM installed.
-Is an ASCOM telescope driver download/install required as well? I am almost sure the answer is no, because i don't recall doing that for the Parallels Desktop system.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
orionic

Re: SharpCap not connecting to mount with CPWI

Post by orionic »

Good news, I was able to fix the problem by uninstalling/downloading/reinstalling CPWI.
Based on the solution I found here: https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/6827 ... ough-cpwi/
Cheers!
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Good news :-)

Thanks also for sharing the fix – you never know when it might help someone else.

Cheers, Robin
orionic

Post by orionic »

I had this problem occur again and fixed it, but discovered some things along the way.

1) First, Windows failed to boot --> had to remove Boot Camp partition and set up Boot Camp all over again.
2) Then installed SharpCap, CPWI, ASPS
3) At that point, CPWI is able to control the mount, but SharpCap shows a complete blank in "Scope Controls" panel. (Even worse than before - now there's not even a checkbox or any error)
4) So as before, I uninstalled and re-installed CPWI. That did not fix it.
5) Then I wondered, perhaps ASCOM is needed for this? Although CPWI works without ASCOM, perhaps SharpCap needs ASCOM to communicate with CPWI.
6) So I installed ASCOM. Now, CPWI shows up in SharpCap's hardware list --> selecting that, I now get the familiar error message in the OP.
7) Then uninstalled & reinstalled CPWI to fix it as before --> now scope control is working in SharpCap.

Later, I saw that you do mention "ASCOM mounts" in your SharpCap manual, so I suppose many will realize that means that ASCOM is required. But, it might be helpful to point out to SharpCap users that they need to download ASCOM to use SharpCap's mount control features. I suppose I had simple-mindedly assumed that since CPWI didn't need ASCOM to control the mount, therefore SharpCap didn't need ASCOM either.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I suspect that maybe CPWI can't install its Ascom features correctly if it's installed before Ascom is, leading to the situation where it's broken when it has been installed first.

I will certainly make sure that the documentation mentions the need to install the Ascom platform if it doesn't already when I next update that.

Cheers, Robin
GregMcKay

Post by GregMcKay »

I just encountered this same issue and it was also resolved by uninstalling CPWI and reinstalling it.