Are these really red stars? And walking noise

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
psy1280

Are these really red stars? And walking noise

Post by psy1280 »

Last night I captured an image of the Pelican nebula. Although everything else in the picture looks correct, there a many, many bright red "stars"...I'm not sure if these are stars or artifacts. Could there be so many??? I would have attached the image but the file size was too large. Can someone tell me how to attach a captured image whose file size is too large?

Also, I've been struggling with walking noise. I was give some tips on how to use some of the tools in SharpCap (I have a Celestron Evo 8, alt/az, but wanted to know if anyone else using an al/az mount has had any success with walking noise. The waning gibbous moon was out last night, will that worsen walking noise? I've tried different exposures (i.e., 4, 8, 10 seconds; gain from 350-200) (I'm using a ZWO294 MC Pro at -15C. I've applied a dark and master flat). As a friend told me, if I don't like the results, switch to AP. I hope there are ways to reduce this problem.

I'll post the images of both problems as soon as I figure out how to reduce file size.

Thank you all,
Joe
chongo228

Re: Are these really red stars? And walking noise

Post by chongo228 »

Upload it to Astrobin (free to make an account) and post the link.

Otherwise you have to save the image in a smaller format using a software like Pixinsight or Photoshop. If you want the extra steps your phone can probably do it....mine lets me select file size when I email an image.
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

small file.jpg
small file.jpg (39.26 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Here's the attached photo I was referring to (thank you for suggesting using my phone! Brilliant!). On the left side of the photo you can see the many bright red...stars? Artifacts? Noise!

Also, in this photo the walking noise isn't that noticeable.
psy1280

Post by psy1280 »

phone croped red stars.jpg
phone croped red stars.jpg (37.57 KiB) Viewed 1214 times
Hopefully, this cropped image will show the red stars(?) better
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Hi psy1280

Are you using calibration frames or is this a single light frame? The images you provided are too low resolution check. This could be hot pixels or your color balance could be off.

You can also get a free account on https://www.flickr.com/ and post your image there and share the link with us here.

-Chris