Question on manually altering white balance

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Menno555

Question on manually altering white balance

Post by Menno555 »

Did read a lot on the white balance in SharpCap. But honestly a bit confused by it because what I did read, are all different things.
Did read that you should try to keep the colors together to get balanced colors, this is also shown in pictures in the SharpCap manual.
But also comments like leave it on default (R 52 and B 90 for my Zwo ASI385MC) because altering white balance can cause loss of data.
Or leave it at 50 /50 and and do the color in postwork. Or just set it to Automatic.
For me it seems logical to use the R and B sliders to get a balanced histogram. But on the other hand I (of course) do not want to loose data.
So what is wisdom? Or does it depends on doing lunar or deep sky with different kind of objects?

Thanks
Menno
admin
Site Admin

Re: Question on manually altering white balance

Post by admin »

Hi,

Did you look at the discussion in this thread?

viewtopic.php?t=2684

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Yes, I did post there too and did try. But that is why I ask because I see all kind of different explanations around on how to use.
Plus every time I see pictures (also on Sharpcap site) of histograms where the color lines are (roughly) aligned. When using 50/50 or the default settings, that never happens. I never get the color lines and white line really aligned with 50/50 or default.
And therefore wondering what the use of the white balance sliders is if 50/50 or default settings are the best?
I am not trying to be picky or trolling, I genuine don't understand what the use of it then.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I think to be honest that the differences that will be made to the final image by the different approaches are pretty small – that's why you will find many people who have managed to produce excellent images using different approaches and are therefore happy to explain online that their approach works well. I've always found that the key with astrophotography is to concentrate on the thing that is limiting the quality of your images now and work on improving that until you get it good enough that something else is limiting the quality. I get the feeling that this particular decision will be one of the last things you need to worry about!

Cheers, Robin
Menno555

Post by Menno555 »

Thanks Robin, that all makes sense. So in a nutshell it comes down to personal preference + acquiring more experience :)

Menno