Sensor Analysis not completing

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
alinderbaum

Sensor Analysis not completing

Post by alinderbaum »

I am in need of some insight on running the sensor analysis. 1st question - is it necessary? I ask because I have been attempting it for over an hour this evening without a successful completion. I have followed the instructions in the manual. I have the red box an adequate size, I have an evenly lit field with a histogram at the 55-65% level. It is a pretty thin histogram in comparison to what is in the manual. I start eh process and it runs fine for a couple of minutes. Then it asks 20-30 times to adjust the light level, all while the histogram is in relatively the same place and same size. It is a single peak histogram. After 10-15 minutes of this, I stop and restart and have done this 6-8 times now with no success. I know I will be told to read the manual, which I have and not found anything on troubleshooting this. My apologies if I have overlooked it somehow.

Is there something I am overlooking that is not in the manual that is required to complete this process? Here is the process I am following from your manual http://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/19_SensorAnalysis.htm

Thank you for any insight with overcoming huge hurdle.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis not completing

Post by admin »

Hi,

It depends rather on whether you have a fairly common camera or a moderately rare one. SharpCap ships with a large number of pre-measured sensor analysis files for the most commonly used cameras. If you have one of those cameras then there is really no need to do your own analysis. The easy way to check this is to go into the histogram and see if you see coloured bars at the top of the histogram area (you already have a sensor analysis file installed for your camera) or a prompt to run the sensor analysis (you don't have one installed).

If you let me know your model of camera can check.

Cheers, Robin
alinderbaum

Post by alinderbaum »

Thanks for your reply, Robin. I just acquired an Altair 269C. I would like to complete the sensor analysis so I can continue to educate myself (am new to the hobby) but if it does not provide much of a return on my time invested (8 hours this weekend), I will skip it.

One other item I noticed and want to clarify is: I use StarTools to process and they say it is best to use RAW files to create a FITs file to import. In the Sharpcap main settings, there is not a selection for RAW (or the SER) in the preferred STILL FORMAT box. If I am able to select SER in the camera controls after the camera is selected, will I being able to save the RAW files (SER) and override the main setting that does not have a RAW option?

Many thanks!

Aaron
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

So firstly I can confirm that SharpCap (latest versions) ship with a sensor analysis file for the 269 Altair camera.

Secondly, the reason you cannot select SER format for still images is because SER is a video format (like AVI) where multiple frames go into the same file. You can save raw images into SER format (or FITS or PNG for that matter). Just make sure you have selected one of the 'RAW' options for the colour space.

Cheers, Robin
'