Can't get image with ELP_IMX291 webcam

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ebertran

Can't get image with ELP_IMX291 webcam

Post by ebertran »

Hello everybody,

I have successfully used SharpCap with an old "Hercule" webcam, ok with limitation on accessible parameters.

Now I have upgrade it with an "ELP" one (USB 3.0 / 2MP / Sony IMX291) also with parameters limitation.
I can get the video flux with following AMCap, iSpy, OBS, and VLC software, but impossible to get it with SharpCap. The frame count is 0. :|

Do you have already see this kind of problem ?

Configuration :
- W10 computer
- SharpCap 3.2.6248.0
- Windows webcam driver

Best regards,
Emmanuel

PS : Camera in attached file with lens removed.
Attachments
ELP_IMX291.JPG
ELP_IMX291.JPG (81.53 KiB) Viewed 2096 times
admin
Site Admin

Re: Can't get image with ELP_IMX291 webcam

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap uses the Windows WebCam driver in a different way to a lot of those other piece of software – instead of allowing the WebCam components built into window to do the display and the saving, SharpCap takes charge of all of that itself. This gives extra flexibility like being able to save to various file formats and transition between preview and capture mode without having the camera reset, but it can also introduce glitches like the one that you are perhaps experiencing.

If you can post your SharpCap log captured after trying to use the camera I will happily have a look at it to see if there's anything obvious going on. I presume that the camera doesn't need any special drivers in Windows (i.e. it implements the USB video class specification and therefore the generic Windows WebCam drivers can operate it). Somewhere or other I have a similar board with one of the Aptina sensors on, which worked okay the last time I tested it.

Cheers, Robin
ebertran

Post by ebertran »

Hello Robin,

Thanks for your support :)
Please find in attached file the SharpCapLog. The plug of the camera is here : 23:06:42.1569284
You are right, the camera doesn't need specific driver. W10 has automaticaly select the needed one.

Best regards,
Emmanuel
Attachments
SharpCapLog_after_ELP-IMX291_plug---ebertran_29052020.txt
SharpCap log when plugging ELP_IMX291 camera
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 89 times
ebertran

Post by ebertran »

And here the log just after having select "3.0 USB Camera" in the "Cameras" menu.
At this step, a black image appears with a count of frame equal to zero.
Attachments
SharpCapLog_after_ELP-IMX291_plug---ebertran_29052020_v2.txt
SharpCap log when selecting the webcam in the Cameras menu
(35.04 KiB) Downloaded 79 times
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

There are no obvious errors in those logs and they match line for line with the logs that I get when using my working USB board camera, which is a bit frustrating. It looks like everything is set up cleanly but then obviously we don't get any frames. I presume you've tried adjusting every single control both in terms of the ones that are visible in the right-hand panel and those that are hidden potentially behind the camera's video filter and video pin dialogues (you will find those in the options menu).

Cheers, Robin
ebertran

Post by ebertran »

Hello Robin,

Yes, all camera options you mentionne have been tested. But none can start the frame count which is always equal to 0 :|
I have installed the Windows "USBview" software to get details about the USB electronic from the ELP_IMX291 camera, but the log is too technic... I have also tried to compare differences with the USBview log from my Hercule webcam which works fine on SharpCap, but it's not easy to check what lines are important...
Maybe you have already check this kind of log ? (If you are interested, both logs are in attached files)

I have also tried with the SharpCap 64 bits, but it crash when I try to open ELP_IMX291 camera settings.

Best regards,
Emmanuel
Attachments
USBview_Hercule.txt
Log from USBview software on Hercule webcam
(11.12 KiB) Downloaded 88 times
USBview_ELPimx291.txt
Log from USBview software on ELP_IMX291 webcam
(42.92 KiB) Downloaded 83 times
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Emmanuel

USBtreeView shows a graphical picture of all the USB ports. Can you connect the camera, run USBtreeView, and post a screenshot of the graphical representation.

Dave
ebertran

Post by ebertran »

Hello Dave,

Thanks for your message.
So in attached file the screenshot of USBview software when ELP_IMX291 is connected.

More information :
- The computer port is an USB 3 and USB cable (provided with the camera) is also an USB 3. Lenght = 3m. Camera also USB 3.
- The led on the camera electronic is well activated when I select "3.0 USB Camera" in "Cameras" menu of SharpCap.

Thanks for your support :)
Attachments
Capture of USBwiew software when the camera is connected
Capture of USBwiew software when the camera is connected
Capture---USBview_when_camera _is_connected.JPG (176.18 KiB) Viewed 2022 times
ebertran

Post by ebertran »

Mamma Mia, problem solved !
Nothing related to the camera or SharpCap..... It's Kaspersky antivirus :evil:
It has placed SharpCap in the software list with restricted privilege.
I have moved SharpCap in the full privilege list and now it can get images from the camera. The frame counter is now alive :)

So stupid problem...

Thank you Dave and Robin for your support !

To the world : Check your antivirus rules !
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Glad you are working now. I don't run AV software on my capture laptop (or do banking) and only access astro related websites.

Dave