Debayer pattern with Sharpcap question

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
chongo228

Debayer pattern with Sharpcap question

Post by chongo228 »

My first OSC camera is being shipped this week and I found this thread. I was curious what the solution was before I start imaging. Follow the link and read post 14 and 15. They are saying that the files are being modified and not saved raw by SC.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/7045 ... e-pattern/
turfpit

Re: Debayer pattern with Sharpcap question

Post by turfpit »

Chongo

In the link, post #16 has it right. It depends on how the processing software reads the Bayer pattern.

This is from an Altair 183C, SharpCap capture of RAW12.

BAYERPAT= 'GBRG ' / NOTE: Use RGGB on some software (eg PixInsight)

In Astro Pixel Processor that file was debayered as RGGB

An easy way to stay sane with this is to capture a single RAW image of a land based object which has good colour - e.g. house, tree etc. Then debayer the raw image as described here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254. Then you will know for sure which looks right. Then debayer in your processing software.

When I load the above frame into PIPP and debayer by hand, RGGB gives the correct colours but GBRG is wrong.

Dave
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

turfpit wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 pm Chongo

In the link, post #16 has it right. It depends on how the processing software reads the Bayer pattern.

This is from an Altair 183C, SharpCap capture of RAW12.

BAYERPAT= 'GBRG ' / NOTE: Use RGGB on some software (eg PixInsight)

In Astro Pixel Processor that file was debayered as RGGB

An easy way to stay sane with this is to capture a single RAW image of a land based object which has good colour - e.g. house, tree etc. Then debayer the raw image as described here viewtopic.php?f=35&t=254. Then you will know for sure which looks right. Then debayer in your processing software.

When I load the above frame into PIPP and debayer by hand, RGGB gives the correct colours but GBRG is wrong.

Dave
Thanks...I think I get the difference in the pattern. I was really really wondering about the images being saved with data that isn't raw as they go on to discuss. I believe Robin responded to the thread and answered my question.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Hopefully my comments in the cloudy night thread clear things up.

Unfortunately what some of the posters there are missing is that the camera is a flexible tool that can be used for lots of different things. When using it for some purposes it may be advisable to adjust certain parameters, when using it for others it may be advisable to leave them at their defaults instead. If there use cases require the defaults that doesn't mean the parameters should not be adjustable as other people may need to change them.

Cheers, Robin