Flats with Bias subtraction.

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
m32guy

Flats with Bias subtraction.

Post by m32guy »

I've got a quick question on the master flat created by SharpCap. Typically I use the master flat created by SharpCap in DSS as part of my workflow and combine it with the individual frames I collect while live stacking and with darks from a dark library that I've built. If I select the "subtract bias" option when creating my master flat in SharpCap do I still need to worry about capturing dark flats for use in DSS? I'm thinking no, but wanted to check and see if I understand the way this all works correctly.

Thanks for the help.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Flats with Bias subtraction.

Post by admin »

Hi,

You're correct – the subtraction of the bias frame when creating the flat frames in SharpCap is effectively equivalent to the use of dark flats. The theory is that because flat frames are captured with fairly short exposures, the important part is to subtract the bias levels rather than to worry about capturing a full dark frame since thermal noise really isn't going to build up very much over flat frame exposures that are usually less than one second.

Cheers, Robin