Dithering

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Lee Housden

Dithering

Post by Lee Housden »

I use sharpcap as my only capture software and I love it I really need some advice as I want to start dithering in live stack but need some help I read somewhere there is a box to reduce exp to 1 second whist dithering so you don’t waste longer exposures I can’t find this setting? I am doing exposures of 240s and say I wanted to dither every other frame should I put 480s in the dither time ? I use the save individual frame to process later in pixinsight Some help would be appreciated so I can get this working for me thanks
BlackWikkett

Re: Dithering

Post by BlackWikkett »

SC-Live Stack-Dither-Reduce exp.png
SC-Live Stack-Dither-Reduce exp.png (44.46 KiB) Viewed 2774 times
Locaated on the guiding tab once your live stacking. This depends on PHD2. What version of SharpCap are you running? You'll want to updated from the downloads page found here if your on an older version. https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap/downloads

-Chris
Lee Housden

Post by Lee Housden »

Fab just installed new version and I now have the tab 👍how often would you dither every frame or less
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Dithering interval depends on your exposure time. I've all ways gone with every 4th or 5th image for dither. Example if I'm imaging at 30 sec I dither at every 120 sec, at 60 sec imaging I'll dither at 240 sec. So I'll capture 4 frames then dither. This has worked well for me.

-Chris
Lee Housden

Post by Lee Housden »

Fabulous Chris thanks very much for your advise