Hot pixel: final stacking black/red lines

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
ippiu

Hot pixel: final stacking black/red lines

Post by ippiu »

Hi.
I usually apply dark and flat correction during live stacking.
But i think hot pixels are difficult to remove completely: so each hot pixel successfully removed, leaves a sort of "tiny black hole" that form a dark line at the end of the stacking.
And each hot pixel not successfully removed, forms a "red line" at the end of the stacking.
Is it true?
Does this happen?

Thanks
Annotazione 2020-03-12 163258.jpg
Annotazione 2020-03-12 163258.jpg (179.91 KiB) Viewed 1487 times
IOptron Cem40 + Apo 115 f7 + Asi533 Pro + Asiair Pro + Optolong L-eNhance + L-Pro 2"
admin
Site Admin

Re: Hot pixel: final stacking black/red lines

Post by admin »

Hi,

This problem is often called 'raining' noise. It's caused by the dark correction not being hundred percent exact – if you have pixel in the dark that is a bit brighter than it should be (just by randomness) then that will over correct every image frame and as the image drifts leave a dark trail in the stacked image. Normally this wouldn't be very visible, but we tend to stretch Astro images to bring out the fine detail which also pulls this sort of problem interview. The usual way to try to reduce this is to use dithering which will spread the effect around over a larger area and make it less noticeable.

Cheers, Robin
ippiu

Post by ippiu »

Excellent explanation.

Thanks Robin
IOptron Cem40 + Apo 115 f7 + Asi533 Pro + Asiair Pro + Optolong L-eNhance + L-Pro 2"
oopfan

Post by oopfan »

Hi ippiu,

My mount is not capable of dithering. To solve the "raining noise" problem I increase exposure. Works every time.

Brian