Sensor Analysis

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
tmyers

Sensor Analysis

Post by tmyers »

Just a couple questions about Sensor Analysis

I have an ASI 1600 MC Cool. If I have read correctly SharpCap should already have the data for this camera. Is still a good idea to run the analysis on my 1600?

Saw a YT Vid about doing Sensor Analysis and the author used a white screen on a tablet to put the camera onto for illumination. Is this method acceptable, or should I look for cloudy day bright skies as explained in the Tutorial?
Tim

EXOS-2GT
SkyWatcher 100ED PRO
ASI 1600MC Cool
admin
Site Admin

Re: Sensor Analysis

Post by admin »

Hi,

No need to run your own calibration unless you really want to – the variation from sample to sample a particular camera model is very small.

If you do run your own I would suggest against using a tablet, laptop or phone screen for illumination – that's because these devices often have a dynamic brightness function that will brighten or dim the screen depending on the illumination level around the device. That's the last thing you want when you are performing the calibration.

Cheers, Robin
tmyers

Post by tmyers »

Robin,
Imaging this past Sat night and the Histogram Brain is not available, didn't know if the analysis data needed to be downloaded or something. I am sure I am doing something wrong of missing it.

Should add that I am using a 1600MC Cool, and have been using the RGB-24 setting for imaging. Someone suggested that SC might only have sensor data for the Mono 8 and 16 formats.
Tim

EXOS-2GT
SkyWatcher 100ED PRO
ASI 1600MC Cool
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Tim

See https://docs.sharpcap.co.uk/3.2/#!2!Sensor%20Analysis 2nd bullet point
Set your camera into it’s highest bit depth mode, and if it is a colour camera, set it into RAW mode rather than RGB mode
  • highest bit mode
  • RAW rather than RGB for colour cameras
Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, the use of the RGB mode is problem – neither sensor analysis all the brain can operate on a camera running in RGB mode because there is no way to truly know the values that coming from the individual pixels if the raw image has already been converted to RGB before SharpCap received.

Cheers, Robin
astrowiki

Post by astrowiki »

Have there been any issues with ccd's doing sensor analysis? I have an Atik titan and I can't get it to work at all. It's either too bright or too dim and it will ask me to adjust the brightness. If I get to the point of taking the dark frames it just sets there. It will ask me to take the cap off when the process is done and the proceed button isn't highlighted. I have to hit cancel. In short, is there any way to adjust gain and offset settings using the Atik ascom driver. I'm not seeing any.

Thanks
Kip
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

Kip

I found the Titan manual on the web. I have an Atik 314E (about 10 years old). The Titan looks similar to the 314E but in a blue case - different sensor with 659x494 capture area - mine is 1391x1039.

I run the Atik successfully under Sharpcap with the ASCOM driver. The only camera control I see in the camera control panel is exposure. If I click on the Show button, the ASCOM window has only exposure as a control.

I have never tried the sensor analysis with this camera but imagine it would struggle. Robin will be able to confirm this.

Dave
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I've certainly run the analysis on a number of different CCD cameras – in most cases it can be made to work. If you are getting stuck after uncovering the sensor again, the problem is that the frame is not brightening enough (SharpCap is looking for the frame to exceed a certain brightness level so that it sure you have uncovered the sensor) – try increasing exposure a bit manually at this point and the proceed button may become enabled.

Cheers, Robin
astrowiki

Post by astrowiki »

Ah, ok Thanks to both of you for your input. Much appreciated.

Kip