Connect ZWO Camera to SharpCapPro with POTH

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
jedorme

Connect ZWO Camera to SharpCapPro with POTH

Post by jedorme »

I just got an Explore Scientific iEXOS-100 mount & have a serial connection between it & my PC laptop. I'm using ASCOM's POTH hub for this connection, & right now I have only connected to Cartes du Ciel through this POTH hub. But I have SharpCapPro installed & wish to use it for polar alignment needs & maybe more (a connection to run my ZWO EAF auto focusser). How do I connect my ZWO ASI120MM-S camera & mini guide scope to SharpCapPro using the POTH hub? Will any additional drivers be needed besides those already in my PC from ZWO for the camera or as part of the ASCOM Platform 6.4 installation?
admin
Site Admin

Re: Connect ZWO Camera to SharpCapPro with POTH

Post by admin »

Hi,

You shouldn't need to have to worry about connecting your mount to SharpCap if all you want to do is do the polar alignment. Once your ZWO camera is plugged into the computer, SharpCap should detected automatically and be able to use it – SharpCap has direct support for ZWO cameras and doesn't need to use any Ascom drivers to talk to the camera.

Once you've got focus sorted and you set an appropriate exposure and gain (maybe two second exposure and a fairly high gain level), you can do all the required adjustment of the mount position either by unlocking the RA clutch and swinging the mount manually or by using the hand controller.

Hope this helps, Robin
jedorme

Post by jedorme »

Hi Robin,

That is what I had hoped that it would be as with my prior iOptron Sky Guider Pro mount, I had no trouble connecting to the camera with SharpCap before I upgraded to Pro for polar alignment. But with some problems I had setting everything up to use POTH to route all of my software connections with the mount, I wasn't so sure. Thanks very much for this assurance. Next in order will be to attempt to use PHD2 for auto guiding with the same camera & using the serial connection instead of connecting with the ST4 cable between the camera & the mount. Again it was easy peasy with the SGP using ST4, but I'm a bit wary that the PMC-8 hookup used by my new mount for the serial connection may be more demanding.

Jed
Rogerlaine2002

Post by Rogerlaine2002 »

I am interested to know whether this ‘just worked’ as I am currently about to do a similar setup?