Evaluate field curvature and tilt

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
AstroNikko

Evaluate field curvature and tilt

Post by AstroNikko »

Looking through the Focus Assistance tools, I don't see anything that reports a focus analysis across the field in order to evaluate field curvature and tilt. Is there any such feature available in SharpCap?

Alternative solution would be to use a selection box and move it around the frame to evaluate focus in the 4 corners and center. Was hoping for something that automated this process, though.

Thanks in advance,

Nikko
Mount: CEM120, Celestron AVX
Scope: ES N208CF f/3.9, Meade 2080 8” f/10 SCT, Meade 290-P 60mm f/15, WO SpaceCat 51 f/4.9
Camera: QHY268C, Fuji X-T100, P1 Neptune-C II (IMX464), P1 Mars-M (IMX290), ZWO ASI290MM Mini, Logitech C905
admin
Site Admin

Re: Evaluate field curvature and tilt

Post by admin »

Hi,

No, SharpCap doesn't have a feature like this designed for picking up curvature or tilt – there are several applications out there that will make this analysis in a saved image file though I believe.

One thing that may be worth trying though is to see whether the experimental collimation tool provides the information you're looking for – that measures start FWHM values over the full area of the image and then tries to plot contours of the best fit surface to the measured values. The original goal of this to was to aid with Newtonian collimation – correct collimation should put the sharper stars in the middle of the frame with those around the edge made less sharp by coma.

Cheers, Robin
AstroNikko

Re: Evaluate field curvature and tilt

Post by AstroNikko »

That might do it. Thank you for the suggestion!

I was completely unaware of this tool. I'll try it out.

Thank you!

Nikko
Mount: CEM120, Celestron AVX
Scope: ES N208CF f/3.9, Meade 2080 8” f/10 SCT, Meade 290-P 60mm f/15, WO SpaceCat 51 f/4.9
Camera: QHY268C, Fuji X-T100, P1 Neptune-C II (IMX464), P1 Mars-M (IMX290), ZWO ASI290MM Mini, Logitech C905