New to Sharpcap and astronomy

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
NewToAstronomy

New to Sharpcap and astronomy

Post by NewToAstronomy »

Hi!

I’m new to this website and astronomy and was wondering if anyone could help me out. I downloaded the SharpCap app a few days ago and was able to get some pretty clean shots of the moon. However, all I got were images of the moon when I hit Start Capture. My question is: How do I set my application so that I record and save actual videos instead and not multiple still images?

Also, is there a video tutorial somewhere that can show me how to configure the image control settings to get the sharpest, clearest videos and images?

Thanks!
admin
Site Admin

Re: New to Sharpcap and astronomy

Post by admin »

There are a fair few video SharpCap tutorials on youtube (a quick search will find them).

Alternatively, there are some excellent guides in the Tutorials section of the forums - viewforum.php?f=35 - I would suggest looking at these

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1157
viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1450

Most of the suggestions for capturing Saturn will also work on the moon (you will need a shorter exposure though).

Robin
turfpit

Post by turfpit »

NewToAstronomy

The links below have information about:
  • General settings such as Capture Area, Output Format (use SER for video) and Colour Space (use 8-bit for best frames per second).
  • Setting correct exposure using the Highlight Over Exposed tool.
  • Focusing.
  • Using the histogram.
  • Use of filters.
A useful filter to use for lunar imaging is a red filter (Wratten #25). This will help mitigate brightness and steady the atmospherics.
https://www.365astronomy.com/Castell-25 ... -1.25.html
Typical cost around £15.

Robin has posted a link to my document about using Autostakkert to process lunar videos.

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1647

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1693

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2024

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1908

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1781

Any questions, just ask but remember to post back with equipment details, screen shots and settings.

Dave
NewToAstronomy

Post by NewToAstronomy »

Ok thanks Robin and Dave!
BlackWikkett

Post by BlackWikkett »

Several helpful folks here https://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/ broadcasting live. Many of us use SharpCap for live stacking and you'll be able to see objects build live. We'll be more then happy to help with any questions you have. Site is free but you'll need to sign up for an account to communicate with the broadcaster and other members that watch the broadcasts.

-Chris