Change the name of a camera

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
mickscott

Change the name of a camera

Post by mickscott »

Would anyone know of a method of changing the name of the camera as it appears in Sharpcap, the reason i'm asking is that if you had 2 of the same cameras connected to Sharpcap and were using ie a dual rig setup and had 2 screens open using Task View the 2 cameras ie 2 x gp130m would both have the same name, whereas if you could change the name somewhere you could then identify which camera was which. I hope that all makes sense.
admin
Site Admin

Re: Change the name of a camera

Post by admin »

Hi Mick,

In the most recent versions of SharpCap, if you have two cameras of the same model then the display of the cameras in the menu should show both the model name and the camera serial number so that you can tell the difference between them. If this doesn't happen for any particular brand of cameras then let me know and I will look into it further – the code to get them serial number from the camera depends on the brand of camera and I may not have implemented it for all brands yet. I'm fairly sure that Altair, qhy and ZWO are done though.

Cheers, Robin
mickscott

Post by mickscott »

Cheers Robin i'll give it a try next time i'm in the obsy and let you know how it goes
mickscott

Post by mickscott »

Hi Robin after further testing it seems that my 2 x asi071mc pro cameras only appear as the same name which only by setting one at a different exposure can I tell which is which.
Rgds
Mick
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, I looked into this a bit further and I found out that ZWO don't really have serial numbers for their cameras except the very very latest models, so I don't think I have any easy way to tell them apart in the code either.

Does the same camera always appear first in the list, or does it vary each time you start SharpCap or each time the computer is restarted?

Cheers, Robin
mickscott

Post by mickscott »

It varies each time thus the confusion mate
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

Yes, I was afraid of that – no point in me putting ASI071 (#1) and ASI071 (#2) then :(

Cheers, Robin