Selecting a ROI for images collected via Monitor Folder

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
garyhawkins

Selecting a ROI for images collected via Monitor Folder

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi all,

I shoot EAA using a Canon 60D DSLR combined with an ES AR102. I use Backyard EOS to drop images into a folder. I then use the Monitor Folder option within SharpCap to collect images for processing.

Within Sharpcap, it is possible to extract a region of interest (the center portion) and then either save this image for further processing or overwrite the incoming file and undertake further processing. I know you can do this for certain cameras but it does not seem to be available for the Monitor Folder option.

Thanks in appreciation,

Gary
admin
Site Admin

Re: Selecting a ROI for images collected via Monitor Folder

Post by admin »

Hi,

there is currently no way to do this in the folder monitor camera. The obvious workaround for now would be to process the whole frame through the folder monitor camera and then cut down the final image. Does that approach cause problems in your workflow?

thanks,

Robin
garyhawkins

Re: Selecting a ROI for images collected via Monitor Folder

Post by garyhawkins »

Hi Robin,

Thanks for your reply.

The problem is my two EAA processing tools of choice (SharpCap Pro and Astrotoaster) get seriously bogged down trying to process 5184x3456 images (large on Canon D60).

Thus, currently, I download small images, 2592x1728, and both tools rocket through the processing. I get a 2x1.4 degree FOV with an effective pixel size of 8.5um (which is not ideal but OK).

What I'd like to do is download a 5184x3456 image and select a 2592x1728 ROI around center point and process these. My FOV would reduce to 1 x 0.7 degrees which is more than sufficient for most DSOs and my pixel size an optimum 4.2um.

It's not a huge problem as my current setup works fine. I'm just trying to optimize and pull out as much info as I can.

Best regards,

Gary