Polar alignment

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
Paolo2710

Polar alignment

Post by Paolo2710 »

I'm Paolo and I write from Italy.
I would like to know if DSLR can be used to make polar alignment with sharpcap.
Mount the camera in place of the telescope, align and then mount the telescope later.
I'd save the purchase of another telescope.
Accurately aligned the mount, can I do without the guide camera?
Thx ;)
chongo228

Re: Polar alignment

Post by chongo228 »

You can do that ....remember you're aligning the mount and not the telescope. Once the mount is aligned it doesn't matter what scope or camera it has. As long as you don't bump the mount while switching your telescope it will stay in alignment. An easier method would be to mount the DSLR to the top of the telescope on a small vixen or synta rail so you could easily remove it after you polar align. Even is you slightly shake the mount while moving cameras it will be way more accurate than performing the alignment the old way.

In your last sentence you you said...

"Accurately aligned the mount, can I do without the guide camera?"

To polar align you don't use the guide camera (although I guess you could). You use your main imaging camera.
Paolo2710

Post by Paolo2710 »

sorry i was wrong. I meant DSLR not guide camera
Paolo2710

Post by Paolo2710 »

I was wondering if I could do without a telescope to guide the exposure of the photo, after alignment.
The translator is not always perfect.
I wanted to say if after this alignment you can do without the guide camera, and the guide telescope
chongo228

Post by chongo228 »

You can do without a guide camera.You could easily get 30 second exposures without the stars getting out of shape. If you really dial the PA in you might be able to get 60 to 90 second exposures.

If you are using a focal length of round 300-400mm you could probably go a little longer. The longer the focal length the more exaggerated any tracking error will be.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

SharpCap doesn't have support for DSLR cameras (although some people managed to find third-party Ascom or direct show drivers that may work). If you want polar align using a DSLR camera you may want to look into using Photo Polar Align (see this thread on Stargazers Lounge - https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/2299 ... t-utility/)

Robin
Paolo2710

Post by Paolo2710 »

my aim was to align as well as possible not to use the guide during the shots.
Paolo2710

Post by Paolo2710 »

In the manual it is reported that it would take a 200mm focal length telescope for the polar alignment. So with my 750mm I can't do it.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

It's not just the focal length but a combination of the sensor size and focal length that give you a field of view – you need the field of view to ideally be at least one degree in each direction. Half a degree or more in each direction usually works, but one degree is better.

thanks, Robin
Paolo2710

Post by Paolo2710 »

Thanks