Questions about Japanese localization of SharpCapUserManual

Somewhere to ask questions about the best way to use SharpCap
Forum rules

If you have a problem or question, please check the FAQ to see if it already has an answer : https://www.sharpcap.co.uk/sharpcap-faqs
admin
Site Admin

Re: Questions about Japanese localization of SharpCapUserManual

Post by admin »

Hi,

it's one of those things that is possible, but an awful lot of work (and I mean a really huge amount). First you have to work out where the 'Help' button goes on each piece of UI, then you have to setup help IDs for every topic and wire them into the right help buttons. I've done that in previous jobs and it was so much effort to keep it updated as the product changed that we gave up in the end and took them all out.

sorry,

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Post by Toshihito Watanabe »

Hi,

So that's how it happened, I can imagine how hard it is to work with.
But it's a shame.

Watanabe
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

Thank you for the Japanese description of the SC setup (installation).

However, the "Launch"(を起動します) button is an unnatural string for what it launches.
Please fix it to "Launch SharpCap"(SharpCapを起動) if possible, or "Launch" (起動します)if not possible.

SCInstall-3.png
SCInstall-3.png (19.85 KiB) Viewed 1042 times

****************************************************************************************

New request!
This is the Japanese guide for the new version when the program starts.

WinJUPOS example:

WinJUPOS New Version Information.png
WinJUPOS New Version Information.png (32.69 KiB) Viewed 1038 times

Best regards,
Watanabe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

thanks for the suggestion on the Launch button - I will try 'SharpCapを起動' and see if the button resizes correctly - if not I will try the shorter alternative.

Currently the auto-update UI is provided by a different component - I think there are already translations for some languages (French, Chinese, etc). I will have to test - if the other translations work then I can investigate how to add a new translation.

thanks,

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

The version history in "About SharpCap" seems unnatural to include here in describing SharpCap, how about as text in the user manual?
In other words, is it possible to write in Japanese only for the text part on the left side?

Note: "About WinJUPOS" , "About Maxlm DL" do not describe any version history. (Explained in the site home page or help text)

Also, I think we can leave the "Follow SharpCap on Facebok" link and place it anywhere on the left side.

AboutSC.png
AboutSC.png (79.89 KiB) Viewed 1028 times

About WinJUPOS.png
About WinJUPOS.png (57.83 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

About Maxlm DL.png
About Maxlm DL.png (20.39 KiB) Viewed 1019 times

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Another request.
When creating help text, I would like to see a wider line spacing between the end of the topic line and the next topic title name.

Help Text.png
Help Text.png (74.71 KiB) Viewed 1013 times

There is another topic in the next section >

Watanabe
Toshihito Watanabe

admin wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:49 pm Hi,

honestly, that's not really something I can do - the reason is that the legal agreement contains clauses that are designed to ensure that I have no liability if someone uses SharpCap for something illegal (and I'm sure you can appreciate that there are *many* illegal things that a video capture application can be used for). If those clauses are translated into Japanese then I have no idea if they really mean the same as they do in English, and that could be a problem.

sorry,

Robin

Later, I thought about the following contradictions.

If that is the case, only users who can understand English can check the license agreement before installation, which I think is unreasonable.

So my suggestion is to add the "License Agreement" as a text in the user manual?

Watanabe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

the license agreement needs to be where it is in the installer. Users can copy the text out of the installer and paste it into Google translate if they want a version of the license agreement in their language to understand what the terms are. That's fine by me - the legal agreement text stays in English and has no unexpected changes as a result of translation.

The simple fact is that the only other option would be to have professional translations done on the agreement (by lawyers familiar with each language and legal system) and that would be vastly expensive and is just not something we can do.

All of this also has to be viewed in the context that probably only 1% or so of users even bother to scroll to the bottom of the license agreement, let alone read it.

cheers,

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Toshihito Watanabe wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 2:37 pm Hi,

The version history in "About SharpCap" seems unnatural to include here in describing SharpCap, how about as text in the user manual?
In other words, is it possible to write in Japanese only for the text part on the left side?

Note: "About WinJUPOS" , "About Maxlm DL" do not describe any version history. (Explained in the site home page or help text)

Also, I think we can leave the "Follow SharpCap on Facebok" link and place it anywhere on the left side.

AboutSC.png

About WinJUPOS.png

About Maxlm DL.png

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Another request.
When creating help text, I would like to see a wider line spacing between the end of the topic line and the next topic title name.

Help Text.png

There is another topic in the next section >

Watanabe

Please let me know your thoughts on these topics .

Watanabe
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

Hi,

I do want to extend the translation to other parts of SharpCap, I will be doing so in an order that matches the popularity of the features in the product - so for example Polar Alignment, Live Stacking and the Settings will probably be next. I'm afraid things like the about dialog are probably a long way down the list. I will also not be translating any more areas before the release of SharpCap 4.0 - currently bug fixing and documentation are the main targets.

I think the spacing in the help file *may* be adjustable by changing the styles (space before, space after) in the source document before processing it with chmProcessor - it is certainly something that you could test.

cheers,

Robin
Toshihito Watanabe

Hi,

As mentioned in the previous topic, you can use "EmEditor" to translate the English text (.chm) of the help directly.

Therefore, if you create a file in Word and process it with chmProcessor to create a v4.0UM, such as a CHM file, please consider the line spacing when you create the Word file for the first time.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

The text on the left and right sides of the "Uninstall" button is sticking out, please fix it.

uninstall.png
uninstall.png (20.2 KiB) Viewed 985 times

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Sorry for being so persistent,
Even if only 1% of users read the agreement, if you want to encourage users to agree to the terms of the license agreement, you have to write the agreement in a language they can read.

Why doesn't the copy menu appear when I right-click on the license agreement?

agreement.png
agreement.png (23.84 KiB) Viewed 983 times

copy.png
copy.png (22.18 KiB) Viewed 983 times

Best regards,

Watanabe
Last edited by Toshihito Watanabe on Sat May 15, 2021 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.